Lydgate Lane School

I went to Lydgate lane only for 1 year. 1957/58. I remember a teacher standing in front of a blackboard and teaching us Jerusalem. Anyone know who she could have been. I also remember attending a festival of some sort in a field. we had to do country dancing and Scottish dancing. does anyone else remember this?

On my first day I was introduced to a girl called Sandra Lumb and we stayed friends for years.

Any memories?

OLDIEGIRL The teacher would have been Miss Clements who was also my form teacher in, I think, J4A2. She used to shout at us "Who is grunting, not singing?"

I have a vague recollection that Sandra Lumb was in the same class.

I recall a Denis Lumb - maybe Sandra's brother.

I recall a Denis Lumb - maybe Sandra's brother.

Hi yes Denis was Sandra's brother. I think he was about 3 years older than Sandra. They lived on Stannington View near the cemetery gates.

---------- Post added 18-11-2014 at 16:39 ----------

OLDIEGIRL The teacher would have been Miss Clements who was also my form teacher in, I think, J4A2. She used to shout at us "Who is grunting, not singing?"

I have a vague recollection that Sandra Lumb was in the same class.

thank you for this. I had a feeling it was Miss Clements from all the references to her throughout the thread.

the head teacher at the time I am assuming it was Mr Peck said that I would never pass my 11 plus as he didn't rate the school I had been to before. I proved him wrong and went to High Storrs

OLDIEGIRL Mr Peck reckoned that I might pass the 11plus, which I did at 10, but that I would find it difficult to cope at grammar school. So I went to High Storrs instead of King Ted's. He was right as I absolutely hated it.

Do you remember the ever locked doors between the boy's side and the girl's side. The girls left as 4.00pm, giving them a '10 minute start' on the boys. We also had differing lunh breaks when sometimes we used to walk down the playing field to wave at the the girls in class. Do you remember Ruth Thompson at High Storrs?

In my first year there we had a long bus strike and I had to walk three miles to school every day.

OLDIEGIRL Mr Peck reckoned that I might pass the 11plus, which I did at 10, but that I would find it difficult to cope at grammar school. So I went to High Storrs instead of King Ted's. He was right as I absolutely hated it.

Do you remember the ever locked doors between the boy's side and the girl's side. The girls left as 4.00pm, giving them a '10 minute start' on the boys. We also had differing lunh breaks when sometimes we used to walk down the playing field to wave at the the girls in class. Do you remember Ruth Thompson at High Storrs?

In my first year there we had a long bus strike and I had to walk three miles to school every day.

Hi I do remember the locked doors - as if that would stop us mixing - we always found a way. We used to wait for the boys at the bus stop but it was the one not in view of the school as Miss Furtado watched. Unlike you I had a good experience at school and although I was glad to leave I remember it with fondness. sorry I don't remember a Ruth Thompson. However, I do remember Jonny Worrall and Tony Heap who were the heartthrobs at the time.

OLDIEGIRL I seem to remember a Jonny Worrall, but not a Tony Heap.

In my early working career Miss Furtado was a customer of mine, I often delivered purchases to her home on Southbourne Road. Another popular customer was High Storrs headmaster George Mack.

I can also count some of the Lydgate teachers amongst my early customers.

I taught a lovely year 2 class in Lydgate Lane Primary 1989 -'92... Some great kids and staff! It was when the National Curriculum was setting in and we were like headless chickens!!! Mytherin'! Thank goodness we had a sense of humour..

My Dad, David Stocks attended Lydgate Lane School, think from what he's said he was in the same year as Joe Cocker, my Grandad (Dads Dad) was a lolly pop Man at the school (Edward Stocks(Ted)) until tragically he was hit by an oncoming car whilst he was on the job in Dec 1984.

I notice other pupils who experienced pessimistic dissent by Peck on their abilities and I had a similar treatment.

I left Parkside Junior School 1952 , where I was near top of year , and moved to Crosspool , enrolling at Lydgate Lane about 8 years old. Peck promptly placed me in Class C grade , dismissing Parkside School as vastly inferior to Lydgate.

A severe illness at 8/9 years old then put be further behind and the outcome was an 11 + failure.

Fortunately my parents scraped together funds to send me to Oakwood and there I had a second chance at the 13 + , with a pass to CTS, which in my opinion turned out to be the superior school for my eventual industrial career.

My Dad, David Stocks attended Lydgate Lane School, think from what he's said he was in the same year as Joe Cocker, my Grandad (Dads Dad) was a lolly pop Man at the school (Edward Stocks(Ted)) until tragically he was hit by an oncoming car whilst he was on the job in Dec 1984.

Joe Cocker was the year below me so your Dad would have attended the school from 1948 to 1955.

Joe Cocker was the year below me so your Dad would have attended the school from 1948 to 1955.

Hi I must have the details slightly wrong then I think, I know he knew Joe (perhaps just knew him knocking around wise then because he was born in March '52' my Dad) so had to be later when he began that school then :)