Living in Oughtibridge

Can anyone tell me what it's like there? It seems lovely. What about schools, doctors, dentists etc? Where is the nearest place to get groceries? Are the buses good? People seem friendly? Is there much going on in terms of community events? Almost certain its where I want to live, just wanting to know more

I saw that the floods hit it hard. I'm sorry if you've been caught up in that.

I moved here 3 years ago, best thing I ever did. There is a nice community atmosphere here and it does not take long to get into sheffield city centre (once middlewood road re opens)

Have lived in Oughtibridge for nearly five years and love it. Friends thought we were crazy moving from Dore, but I much prefer the area. Flooding only affected the park and one estate called Waterside gardens. The rest of the village is on hills. In short, the reasons to move there are;

1. rural location

2. friendly locals

3. lacks snobby pretentions of south-west, but is still a bit posh in areas.

4. In Bradfield School catchment area

5. I work in town but still get there a lot quicker than when I lived in Dore

The only down sides are;

1. The **** inn is the best pub, but the rest are not great and none serve decent food.

2. Lacks a good convenience store.

3. No petrol stations nearby (Morrisons in Hillsborough is closest.)

4. No baby groups these days

We have had two children since moving there, and the doctors is very good. Best of luck.

Thank you both, thats really helpful. Shame about the baby groups but otherwise none of the down sides would bother me.

A good doctors is essential and I saw the kids from the school out at lunchtime one day and they seemed like really good kids.

The info about the flooding is really helpful too thanks.

Very excited about this!

Have put post on about baby toddler groups asking if there are any new ones in the area. Not had response yet but will keep you posted if you want.

Have put post on about baby toddler groups asking if there are any new ones in the area. Not had response yet but will keep you posted if you want.

Yes you Have :wink:

Yes you Have :wink:

Sorry have you sent a message to me? Not received it if you have. Send me a private message

Hi

My husband has a couple more questions about the place if that's okay?

How much park area is there? I know there is Coronation Park, which weve not seen yet but where else is there to walk around? Is it all farm land round about or are there walks we can do and places to go for picnics etc?

What else is there to do there? We are moving one way or another but not sure where yet - Oughtibridge seems like the best bet so far. But he likes being near the city centre and having lots of parks nearby (Botanical Gardens, Crookes Valley, Bole Hill etc)

I noticed a thread about car break-ins. It doesn't seem like the kind of place that would have much crime. Am I right?

Any other info would be very much apreciated. Thankyou.

Lots of walks available in the Bradfield Parish which Oughtibridge is part of :

Sensical Park ( off Church Street)

Glen Howe Park (Wharncliffe Side)

Field Paths from village to Bradfield/Grenoside/ Worrall Etc

Beeley Woods/Wharnclffe woods ( cycle/horse riding/walking)

Ewden Valley

Sheffield country walk/trans Pennine trail close by

Hope thats useful.

ITS VERY NICE AND SO IS WHARNCLIFFE SIDE :thumbsup:

VERY LITTLE CRIME AROUND HERE.