Which is most useful? Bookkeeping or Marketing?

Hi all,

I'm starting to expand on my services and have decided to develop an online webinar course and informative blog with reading materials for start-ups and existing small business owners.

I want to kick off with either a 'start with bookkeeping for your business' course or a 'writing for your business' (general marketing & writing) course.

I have good qualifications in both areas - just to clarify.

Which would small business owners find most useful in the first instance?

Any feedback welcome. I'm just developing my new blog/website for my services so I'll share that as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Bookkeeping would be great as many struggle with it and find it difficult, myself included. If you were able to make it simple and easy to maintain. You can contact me if you are looking for a case study. I am struggling with that at the moment and cannot find any information that makes it simple enough. Marketing is just as important but there is alot of information out there.

Bookkeeping would be great as many struggle with it and find it difficult, myself included. If you were able to make it simple and easy to maintain. You can contact me if you are looking for a case study. I am struggling with that at the moment and cannot find any information that makes it simple enough. Marketing is just as important but there is alot of information out there.

When I talk to micro businesses owners they struggle because they try to do everything with spreadsheets or old fashioned paper book keeping instead of paying a small monthly sum for a professional software package. We use a package designed for small businesses, its called QuickBooks. It saves so much time and effort. It work out VAT and does the returns as it is all done automatically. You enter an invoice (in or out) in the correct category and you can run various reports so any information you wish is at your fingertips. Its saves us time and money. We can run the required reports for our accountant to help him do our year end reports.

In our first year we had a very low turnover but QuickBooks still helped considerably on the accounting side. We produce our customer invoices directly from QuickBooks. On the odd occasion we have needed to contact QuickBooks to help explain report running or how to use the software they have been very efficient, professional and courteous.

If you're based in Sheffield you can potentially get on the free basic bookkeeping course run by Business Sheffield

Marketing seems to be overlooked, so perhaps you could do one on how to and why it's important?