Opinions on Park Hill Flats development

Can anyone give me any info about what it's like living at the Urban splash Park view development. My daughter is looking to buy a flat in Sheffield . I believe this development is quite controversial. Her preferred area is Broomhill but lack of supply and price seems to be the stumbling block. Ideally she wants to be near some shops/cafes as she is fairly new to Sheffield and doesn't know many people yet. Any comments/suggestions?

Yes that's right, sorry did I get the name wrong!

Can anyone give me any info about what it's like living at the Urban splash Park view development. My daughter is looking to buy a flat in Sheffield . I believe this development is quite controversial. Her preferred area is Broomhill but lack of supply and price seems to be the stumbling block. Ideally she wants to be near some shops/cafes as she is fairly new to Sheffield and doesn't know many people yet. Any comments/suggestions?

1. Why "controversial"?

2. Some of the flats might be reserved for 'Affordable Housing' sales/lettings.

3. The flats are being sold by underlease; and there is a new management company delivering services.

I don't know the Park Hill development personally and though it is near the railway station, in my opinion that is not the most salubrious neighbourhood in Sheffield. I would agree Broomhill is a great place to live but be careful not to confuse with Broomhall, which has its problems. Look at Crookes, Walkley and Meersbrook for cheaper options in lively safer neighbourhoods is my advice.

Been considering purchase too, but im not sure about the area to be totally honest.

It's a mix of buy to let, social and affordable housing. The development is huge.

check out the urban splash website - there's quite a bit of development of the surrounding area left to do, shops and middle class wanky delis and wotnot.

Parkhill did have a reputation as rough part of town, the jury's still out on that one. Your daughter might do well to investigate further the safety aspect.

Handy for trains and town. its an award winning developer so the flats are high quality build and design and very reasonable for the space on offer.

---------- Post added 27-10-2015 at 17:34 ----------

I don't know the Park Hill development personally and though it is near the railway station, in my opinion that is not the most salubrious neighbourhood in Sheffield. I would agree Broomhill is a great place to live but be careful not to confuse with Broomhall, which has its problems. Look at Crookes, Walkley and Meersbrook for cheaper options in lively safer neighbourhoods is my advice.

Meersbrook's nice and very good for city access or she could try nether edge, depends what kind of budget really.

I found Crookes very student orientated, where as meersbrook etc you have perhaps more of a more mature community.

Edited by TJC1

Woodseats? Lots of amenities, good public transport, pubs, restaurants, cafes and take aways. Local park, shopping centre, library, doctors and schools.

woodseats is alright, I believe SCC are building a new swish library / medical centre too.

woodseats is alright, I believe SCC are building a new swish library / medical centre too.
Yup although I been told it's the doctors building it and letting the council have the library there in exchange for the land.

And the KFC is closed being refurbed into a KFC/Costa. Woodseats is on the up ;)

Thanks for the comments. She works at the University of Sheffield so anywhere that's easy to travel from. She currently walks, but would need to use bus, tram etc if not within walking distance. We have already viewed the apartments at park view, they are really nice, however, I am concerned about the area from a safety aspect. She currently house shares in Broomhill and loves the area, however, budget will exclude it I think. I mentioned "contraversial" in my original post as my husband read that no one from Sheffield would buy at Park View because of its past association with crime. Also given there are going to be 800 flats eventually, reselling could be a problem and not all lenders will give mortgages on them apparently! There are only about 4 who will, so we have been told.

---------- Post added 27-10-2015 at 19:08 ----------

Sorry I must have brain freeze I keep getting the name wrong. Will look at woodseats thanks for the info!

I wouldn't have thought it was the best place if you want cafes/bars. Not unless you want taxis home. For the same price you could get a small flat in West One. It's not going to be anywhere near as big, but much closer to bars/cafes/the uni, and still on tram route.

p.s. and probably much easier to sell. I don't think they can even get rid of the current ones, let alone selling one on.