5 Year Old Girl Fined £150 for selling Lemonade

If you look at the Fixed Penalty Notice, it's made out in the father's name.

Therefore it was the father who was fined not the girl.

( Ooops, Sheffield 87 beat me to it )

Edited by francypants

Dont you need some sort of HSE certificate before you can serve food and / or drink to the general public?

Not when you're 5, you can do anything you like when you're 5, laws don't apply to you.

As far as I know you are below the age of criminal responsibility until you are 10. So you can do literally what you want and can't be prosecuted. Wish I'd known that when I was 9!

It's clear from the photo that the fine was given to the father and not the child due to the fact that she is a minor.

its clear from the photo, that someone should ask the girl who is passing by, why she is wearing a lampshade instead of shorts :)

It now seems that she is on the way to global lemonade domination:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40697243

:roll:

Wow!

Some people really are stupid and will believe anything!

First we're expected to believe that a 5 year old has, all by herself, come up with the idea of making some extra pocket money by setting up her own market stall, and at the same time not question how she knew when the market would be taking place, what price she should sell her lemonade for, or indeed how she would make lemonade in the first place.

Then we're told that she's received support from around the world offering her the chance to set up a stall at some other organised events.

Now if I was a cynical sort, I might think that the whole charade has been stage-managed by her father, who (coincidentally) just happens to be a 'business school professor'.

It makes you (well me anyway) wonder what sort of 'business school professor' is not aware of the legalities of what he was allowing his daughter to do.

And the offers of support from festivals and markets to 'set up a lemonade stand' at their events is nothing more than a cheap shot at getting a bit of publicity for their events.

Does anyone really believe that if they were that desperate for a lemonade stand that they couldn't find their own 5 year old locally to spearhead their marketing campaign? :suspect:

Dont you need some sort of HSE certificate before you can serve food and / or drink to the general public?

You'd have thought a business school professor (i.e. Her dad) would know that. I'd bet his next lecture would be "how to use the media and your child to gain extra work and con the authorities".

The dad was being interviewed on the radio on Friday, he seemed like a decent sort of bloke. He was saying he cooked up the idea with his daughter to give her something fun and creative to do during the holidays. Clearly she wasn't doing it on her own, and clearly it was him that the council officers issued the fine to. There's been some creative reporting going on to whip up a bit of outrage, as usual.

But it did end up being the little girl who was upset, and worried that she'd done something really bad.

The council said that their staff should use discretion, which obviously went out of the window, but no surprise when rules and targets trump common sense and integrity.

Here's how the conversation should have gone:

"Hello Sir, lovely to see you and your little girl doing such a great job. I don't know if you're aware, but you do need a permit to have a stall, but don't worry about it, just sell up what you've got, and if you want to do it again, here's who to contact. Sorry to be so official, no harm done etc, etc"

Edited by Olive

Quote: A council spokesman said: "We are very sorry that this has happened. We expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their powers sensibly.

"This clearly did not happen. END

A council official using common sense, fell off my chair laughing after reading that.

Issued with a fine and then the council cancelled it. Someone was doing their job to the letter. Someone above who has the power to adjudicate saw sense and cancelled the fine.

Silly season news report.

The Jobsworth shouldnt have even issued the ticket in the first place.

Yeah but should it have really had to go through to someone above?? I mean, a 5 year old selling lemonade!! it's madness.. and greed!

Hahaha i dont normally get wound up by these articles but it brought back memories of me selling ice pops on my little stall on my street when i was younger... I used to fill lollypop trays with dilute orange and put them in the freezer and sell them for 2p :hihi:

Its ridiculous isn't it,oh to be able to go back to living in the sixties and seventies.Its like living in a dystopian state nowadays.