To paint or not to paint (for house sale)?

I would say yes it will definitely help. But some magnolias look a bit nasty - the ones that are a bit yellowy, like cheap vanilla ice cream. I think a more beige off-white looks less offensive and dated.

As a buyer I like to see shoddy decor, hideous colours and garish carpets. They put most people off but they keep the price down for me and I can fix them cheaply.

My initial thought was to leave it, it might attract a buyer such as yourself who could put a little money into the house and make a profit. Others in the area are priced at £20k more, but they are immaculately decorated.

I'm going to paint it, I already have the paint, I just don't have much time. I'll have to see how much I can get done tomorrow.

The house is empty, there's only a few large items of furniture, a sofa which is being tipped (although it's in decent condition), and the rest of it I'm waiting for my ex partner to remove.

The kitchen is half decent, so I'm not going to touch it. The rest of the house is dirty and tired looking.

Edited by Isabelle

Definitely paint it unless it is a proper walls back to brick job.

My initial thought was to leave it, it might attract a buyer such as yourself who could put a little money into the house and make a profit. Others in the area are priced at £20k more, but they are immaculately decorated.

I'm going to paint it, I already have the paint, I just don't have much time. I'll have to see how much I can get done tomorrow.

The house is empty, there's only a few large items of furniture, a sofa which is being tipped (although it's in decent condition), and the rest of it I'm waiting for my ex partner to remove.

The kitchen is half decent, so I'm not going to touch it. The rest of the house is dirty and tired looking.

Get a decorator in, spend 2.5k or a bit more, then up the price by 10 - 15k, you'll still be 5k under the competition.

Before I put my house on the market, in May this year, I spent around £5,000 getting it prepared, - new boiler, all electrics checked with certificate, painted inside and out in neutral colours. I had been on the market for 5 weeks with no viewings, then next door put theirs on the market, same price, same colour scheme, different estate agent, with in 4 weeks he had 6 viewings and sold. when I asked my estate agent why, when my house is actually bigger, with more rooms, I hadn't had a viewing, he told me that mine was 'tired' looking. So now I'm wondering if it was worth it, and if I will ever get a viewing.

Get a decorator in, spend 2.5k or a bit more, then up the price by 10 - 15k, you'll still be 5k under the competition.

Sadly I don't have any spare money :(

Any decoration and improvements has to be DIY.

Before I put my house on the market, in May this year, I spent around £5,000 getting it prepared, - new boiler, all electrics checked with certificate, painted inside and out in neutral colours. I had been on the market for 5 weeks with no viewings, then next door put theirs on the market, same price, same colour scheme, different estate agent, with in 4 weeks he had 6 viewings and sold. when I asked my estate agent why, when my house is actually bigger, with more rooms, I hadn't had a viewing, he told me that mine was 'tired' looking. So now I'm wondering if it was worth it, and if I will ever get a viewing.

So swap estate agents.

Definitely a lick of paint and de-clutter the place.

No-one wants to have to repaint an entire house to get rid of the previous owners odd personalised colour scheme, so it can be quite a put-off.

At least if you magnolia the entire house it's 'acceptable' for the new owner until the next rainy bank holiday when they decide to change the colour.