Opinions on Park Hill Flats development

Hi everyone! OP's daughter here. Apologies for bumping such an old thread but I found all of your replies to be so helpful I felt I owed you a thanks and a quick follow up (that's if any of you will even see this..:P). Maybe it'll at least be of some use to someone else.

After visiting the Park Hill flats and considering the pros and cons, I decided that they weren't quite right for me and not what I was looking for (despite the incredible views!).

Not long after, I had just by chance heard about an open day at Little Kelham. I knew that they were only selling 3 & 4 bedroom houses at that moment so I almost didn't go, but I figured it'd be good to check out the development anyway. It just so happened that they had a 2 bedroom flat for sale after someone had pulled out, so I took a leap of faith and snapped it up on a bit of an impulse.

I immediately liked the area; it had a great buzz and positive energy, especially with all of the interesting industrial heritage and the new restaurants etc. that are popping up. Everyone I'd spoken to about Kelham Island had said how much the area had come along recently and it really felt like an up-and-coming area so, with the help of the fantastic Help to Buy scheme, I went for it!

This week has been my first week living in my new Little Kelham flat and I don't regret a thing! It's already got a lovely community feel about it, but hopefully in the next two-three years the area will have plenty of new and exciting developments and it'll be a really cool place to be! Even if I don't have the great views of Park Hill!

So that's all I wanted to say! If anyone has any questions about Little Kelham then just ask. I'd love to return the helpful advice that I got on here all those months ago!

Hi everyone! OP's daughter here. Apologies for bumping such an old thread but I found all of your replies to be so helpful I felt I owed you a thanks and a quick follow up (that's if any of you will even see this..:P). Maybe it'll at least be of some use to someone else.

After visiting the Park Hill flats and considering the pros and cons, I decided that they weren't quite right for me and not what I was looking for (despite the incredible views!).

Not long after, I had just by chance heard about an open day at Little Kelham. I knew that they were only selling 3 & 4 bedroom houses at that moment so I almost didn't go, but I figured it'd be good to check out the development anyway. It just so happened that they had a 2 bedroom flat for sale after someone had pulled out, so I took a leap of faith and snapped it up on a bit of an impulse.

I immediately liked the area; it had a great buzz and positive energy, especially with all of the interesting industrial heritage and the new restaurants etc. that are popping up. Everyone I'd spoken to about Kelham Island had said how much the area had come along recently and it really felt like an up-and-coming area so, with the help of the fantastic Help to Buy scheme, I went for it!

This week has been my first week living in my new Little Kelham flat and I don't regret a thing! It's already got a lovely community feel about it, but hopefully in the next two-three years the area will have plenty of new and exciting developments and it'll be a really cool place to be! Even if I don't have the great views of Park Hill!

So that's all I wanted to say! If anyone has any questions about Little Kelham then just ask. I'd love to return the helpful advice that I got on here all those months ago!

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the Park Hill flats?

<snip>

Good choice down there I think. It's really coming on well. I think some of the empty buildings will soon be snapped up for more of the same hopefully.

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the Park Hill flats?

It was a few things. One thing was the area; I could see that it was improving but it felt like it was going to still be a considerable amount of time for it to really 'up and come.' It didn't have an awful lot of 'neighbourly' feeling which is obviously subjective and may well change as more people move in. It was also on the opposite side of town to my work which although I know isn't that important really with the tram, it was just personal preference.

My parents also had concerns about how many would be reserved for social housing. I know this is controversial but I can see where they were coming from As I'd have been living there on my own/with a lodger.

I also had concerns about the fact that, at the time of my visit, only four mortgage lenders were willing to lend on the flats. I also thought that as more are developed in the future obviously the supply will increase and they might be difficult to sell on.

They were lovely and big inside and as I said the views were second to none. But they just weren't for me! Little Kelham suits me and my lifestyle much better and I love it here.

---------- Post added 30-07-2016 at 13:24 ----------

Good choice down there I think. It's really coming on well. I think some of the empty buildings will soon be snapped up for more of the same hopefully.

I think so! There's already a wonderful atmosphere here and a lot of excitement about things to come :)

I think so! There's already a wonderful atmosphere here and a lot of excitement about things to come :)

I took lots of photos around there in 2007, I'll try and pop back down to do some before and after pictures then post them in here. Looking through my collection I only took about 10 which is unfortunate. I wish I'd taken more!

I took lots of photos around there in 2007, I'll try and pop back down to do some before and after pictures then post them in here. Looking through my collection I only took about 10 which is unfortunate. I wish I'd taken more!

Please do! I'd really like to see those.

Wow, it's really come on a long way.

Thanks for sharing.