Roundabouts and overtaking

And some of us as Police qualified advanced drivers might know a bit more than those overconfident people who make this kind of posting.

Advanced police drivers? Im impressed,seems most cant even get out of the car park without crashing never mind preach to others who have passed more tests,done more miles and have had NO accidents!!

heres just one example..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8303031/Police-crash-cars-hundreds-of-times-in-their-own-car-parks.html

Ps i remember being told by someone cocky like yourself many years ago they scraped people like me off the roads.My reply hasnt changed....

They arnt Like ME!! :)

Go and impress some neive 17 year old,your wasting your time here!

Edited by Xt500

I was actually cut up by a police car on Friday as I was exiting the roundabout at the bottom of Hanoverway going towards the uni .I was in the left hand lane they were in the middle lane ,we set off at the same time. As I came to exit they pulled in front of me rather than in to the right hand lane .Fortunately I'm always on the look out for this sort of thing happening and was able to pull back . They didn't have their blue lights on or anything .

Should you overtake on a roundabout? Example, Your in the right hand lane approaching a roundabout. A car is already on the roundabout moving at normal speed. You (still in the right lane) go round the roundabout and overtake the car thats already on it,

Thanks.

No people shouldn't do it, irritates the hell out of me. The roundabout at the top of Herries road is bad for people doing it; I position myself slap bang in the middle of the road to prevent being overtaken whilst going through the roundabout.

No people shouldn't do it, irritates the hell out of me. The roundabout at the top of Herries road is bad for people doing it; I position myself slap bang in the middle of the road to prevent being overtaken whilst going through the roundabout.

Dangerous driving and bad attitude is no answer to your driving being sub standard.

What ever next,sat in the middle lane stopping people from progressing?

Dangerous driving and bad attitude is no answer to your driving being sub standard.

What ever next,sat in the middle lane stopping people from progressing?

Hold your horses there xt500, the roundabout I'm referring to isn't a multi-lane one, no one has any business overtaking on it.

I'm sure you have - but they don't word it well. They mean the ones down the middle of the road that you shouldnt cross because of bends etc...

Another starter for ten - is it permissible to overtake when there is a solid double white line down the middle of the road?

Oh right, yeah, those I've heard of.

For some reason I was thinking of something on the left, like double yellow lines.

---------- Post added 18-08-2014 at 07:34 ----------

Just passing them, because you are travelling faster is not the same as over taking.

Overtaking is deliberately changing lanes to go round them, then returning to your lane.

The only time I can imagine you might do it is going behind a very slow moving tractor, but I can't say that's ever happened.

I suspect the OP might have better worded it then, to talk about passing someone on a roundabout.

---------- Post added 18-08-2014 at 07:36 ----------

So you deliberately straddle two lanes when you should actually be using one or the other?

So you deliberately straddle two lanes when you should actually be using one or the other?

There isn't two lanes at the roundabout I'm referring to; it is the roundabout at the top of Herries road (near where the Tesco is), when I'm going straight ahead through the roundabout I had people (that are turning right at the roundabout) passing me on the roundabout, or even before I enter the roundabout, so now I make sure I position myself so they can't.

So driving in the middle of a single lane would in fact just be normal then...

I'll have to look it up on google maps.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.412756,-1.473805,3a,75y,355.02h,70.94t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slyKWYP_9pa-SeEqqZinzrw!2e0

Doesn't have 2 lanes marked, but it's arguably wide enough...

Hey Xt500, why don't we have traffic lights rather then roundabouts? I think they are the safer way to cross. What are the accident rate figures for roundabouts compared to those for traffic lights, I wonder? Do you know? I know the argument about how lights slow the traffic flow so what are we talking about in this topic, safety or flow rate?

Edited by woolyhead

Advanced police drivers? Im impressed,seems most cant even get out of the car park without crashing never mind preach to others who have passed more tests,done more miles and have had NO accidents!!

heres just one example..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8303031/Police-crash-cars-hundreds-of-times-in-their-own-car-parks.html

Ps i remember being told by someone cocky like yourself many years ago they scraped people like me off the roads.My reply hasnt changed....

They arnt Like ME!! :)

Go and impress some neive 17 year old,your wasting your time here!

lmao just seen the link. Funny but true.

---------- Post added 21-09-2014 at 00:28 ----------

To keep it simple as I can ... Think of a clock. If you want to turn left before 12 o'clock keep left. If you want an exit after 12 o'clock keep right.

Maybe this is a slightly different topic but I see this in increasing measure every week. You pull up to let oncoming traffic through because there are parked cars on your side of the road, as you should do, and some idiot decides to try and overtake you and nearly smashes head-on into the traffic coming in the opposite direction.