Where are Sheffield's nuclear shelters?

dose anyone have a copy of 'Threds' i could buy/have, my nan's old house was used in the making along with other memrebilia from arround that time, it would be nice to own my own copy:)

i would prefer a DvD or DivX version as i dont have a vidio player:)

:thumbsup:

I got a copy from HMV Fargate.

In the 70s I worked for a company that converted the bunker at Health and Safety on Broad lane, into underground offices.

I got a copy from HMV Fargate.

Was that in June -2004?

Today - available on youtube

apparently there is one under the Moorfoot building for the civil servants.

Yeah! it's their toilet.:hihi:

This is what we must to do in the event of a Nuclear attack.

Angel1.

A list of the 'bunkers' built and operated by the Military, Royal Observer Corps. The ROC manned these locations and their purpose was to monitor the radiation fall out levels post nuclear attack.

Not exactly large scale bunkers where high profile members of the Government/Military would stay, but bunkers nether the less.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/location/south-yorkshire

Thanks for the link,i will now lookout for any of these bunkers while out on my travels,see how many i can "tick" off.If the missus reads this she will be thinking"oh no something else to bore me and the kids with while we are out driving":hihi::hihi:

When I was a kid my Mum was in the Civil Defence, they were told "in case of Nuclear Bomb attack" get down behind a wall. No shortage of walls in farmland around Sheffield. Seriously the old ammunition dump in Grenoside was outfitted as fallout shelters for a while. Dunno what they are now!

It's actually under the town hall and is used these days as the base for CCTV operations.

still thinking where to build t I think meadowhall would be a good place to buid it

To answer the OP, I don't know but from a recent visit to one in Berlin I'm clear in thinking that being in one would have been very unpleasant.

In Berlin the bunker was 3500 sq.m in area and was intended to house 3000 "lucky" people in 95% humidity (it is reckoned) with only one option: stay on your bunk and hope the air intake chimney on top of the car park above you wasn't hit/dislodged by the blast.

None of the bunkers were ever tested to see whether the saved lucky ones would come out of the bunker after two weeks still healthy and sane.

I think central government ones were abandoned as nuclear weapons became much more powerful, because they would have to be so deep that they would be next to impossible to construct, and then after a nuclear strike, the underground rock would have shifted so that they would be impossible to escape from, entombing the occupants.