Royal hospital, west street 1900s

Hi

Hoping someone may be able to give me some information on the Royal Hospital, West Street in the early 1900s. My Great Aunt was nursing there in 1911.

Thanks

Ann

Melbourne, Aust

Hi Ann - welcome to the Forum!.:).The Royal Hospital was one of Sheffield's main hospitals until it closed in 1978; it was later demolished. Here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site. Some details of the hospital can be found in this scan from a 1905 directory.

Thankyou !!! Appreciate your help :)

Hi

Hoping someone may be able to give me some information on the Royal Hospital, West Street in the early 1900s. My Great Aunt was nursing there in 1911.

Thanks

Ann

Melbourne, Aust

Hello Ann and welcome to SF.

My great great Aunt was also a hospital nurse in Sheffield in 1911 but I haven't yet been able to find out which hospital she worked in.

Do you have access to any records that may help me? Her name was Bertha Thompson and part of her family emigrated to Australia - Toowoomba I believe.............. is that just a coincidence ?

Edited by Daven

Hi ,

Sorry, the only details I have are the ones on the 1911 census, which lists my G Aunt at "Royal Hospital West Street, Sheffield", she then joined the TFNS during WW1.

I don't have any access to any other records other than what is on Ancestry.....happy to help you out there if you like :)

Hi ,

Sorry, the only details I have are the ones on the 1911 census, which lists my G Aunt at "Royal Hospital West Street, Sheffield", she then joined the TFNS during WW1.

I don't have any access to any other records other than what is on Ancestry.....happy to help you out there if you like :)

Thanks for the offer Ann but I already subscribe to the Ancestry website.

Good luck with your research.

Thanks, the film is great !

I can only imagine 20 years earlier, must have been tough, so glad I wasn't around back then ;)

I just found this 1932 film of the hospital.

Great film, Yorkshire Ambulance still have one of those ambulances in Doncaster, along with the cart ambulance that was pulled by horses, they are so little on the inside, no room to move ?