Sightseeing Buses !!

This year we haven't had a holiday as such, instead we've had a couple of days here and there eg Liverpool, Stratford on Avon, , York, Harrogate and Lincoln and each of these places have a tour bus. Each tour lasts about an hour and usually visits 10 or 11 stops, there is usually a person giving details of each stop, pointing out the architecture and the history of each place .

We have thoroughly enjoyed or visits, but a thought crossed my mind, if you was to start a tour bus business in Sheffield, where would you take visitors showing the history and architecture in Sheffield?

---------- Post added 21-08-2014 at 13:40 ----------

Yes, I more or less thought the same lol.....A

Why bother with a tour bus?

Buy a day ticket for the trams, great view over the city from Park Grange Road, tram also links most of the museums, galleries, sporting venues, shopping centres and decent pubs! Tram is also a bit more unique and fun than a bus!

Or buy a day ticket for the Peak District buses - fantastic views from buses like the 272 to Castleton and 218 to Matlock!

This year we haven't had a holiday as such, instead we've had a couple of days here and there eg Liverpool, Stratford on Avon, , York, Harrogate and Lincoln and each of these places have a tour bus. Each tour lasts about an hour and usually visits 10 or 11 stops, there is usually a person giving details of each stop, pointing out the architecture and the history of each place .

We have thoroughly enjoyed or visits, but a thought crossed my mind, if you was to start a tour bus business in Sheffield, where would you take visitors showing the history and architecture in Sheffield?

---------- Post added 21-08-2014 at 13:40 ----------

Yes, I more or less thought the same lol.....A

Some tour buses elsewhere are a bit of a con. My mum went on one in Oxford and a lot of the time the guide was pointing at a nondescript building saying what used to be there.

hi as far as I know sightseeing buses r very expensive, I know the London ones charge about £18, your much better off going on a normal bus and looking at the sights that way, if u r gonna plan to do this please note that you cant pay for buses in London when u board, you can get special contactless travel cards from train stations, some bus stops have machines where you can buy tickets before boarding but not all bus stops have them or alternatively you can use your train ticket on buses.

There are a couple of walking tours happening in the city, and an architecture specific one (run by Steel City Ghost Tours)

Other cities are a lot bigger in the centres, so buses are more necessary, however Sheffield centre isn't that big, and is much better navigated as a pedestrian than by bus, as the most interesting places, you can't see from a bus!

Could you imagine a sightseeing bus in Sheffield?.....

"if you look to your left, down that ginnel you will see Tracy getting rogered by a different bloke today"

We had a weekend in Rejkavic, and had a taxi to take us around the area, a proper guided tour, filling the couple of hours we had to spare. Would recommend this.

I just can't imagine what one would consist of in Sheffield?

The ones in London and bigger cities are often quite good.

J Detailing, that was my point really. most of the places we've visited have beautiful architecture, places of history (Liverpool was great for this), and to be honest it wasn't that expensive, I'm an OAP £6.00, my son is disabled £6.00. there is usually about 12 stops, and you can go round and round all day if you want.There is a guide who gives all the details about each place.

Now where in Sheffield City center can we see such beautiful buildings and hear about its history, I'm struggling to think of any really.....