Roundabouts and overtaking

Should you overtake on a roundabout? Example, Your in the right hand lane approaching a roundabout. A car is already on the roundabout moving at normal speed. You (still in the right lane) go round the roundabout and overtake the car thats already on it,

Thanks.

It's something i definitely avoid. I prefer to stay in position as there are a few things that could easily go wrong if overtaking.

Guest sibon

I don't see why you shouldn't.

As long as you aren't traveling excessively fast and as long as you can reach your exit safely.

I don't see why you shouldn't.

As long as you aren't traveling excessively fast and as long as you can reach your exit safely.

I just think it's a risk not worth taking. You could safely overtake a few seconds later once off the rb.

Guest sibon
I just think it's a risk not worth taking. You could safely overtake a few seconds later once off the rb.

Maintaining your speed and passing safely are hallmarks of good driving, and good for fuel consumption.

Maintaining your speed and passing safely are hallmarks of good driving, and good for fuel consumption.

Each to their own mate. I'm very much a defensive driver, you get that way permanently having kids in with you i feel.

For me personally i'd just rather wait a few seconds, and on a couple of occasions it has saved me at least a scrape. There's that little blind area in the mirrors isn't there ? Or at least there is for the car on the inside of you and just ahead.

Guest sibon
Each to their own mate. I'm very much a defensive driver, you get that way permanently having kids in with you i feel.

For me personally i'd just rather wait a few seconds, and on a couple of occasions it has saved me at least a scrape. There's that little blind area in the mirrors isn't there ? Or at least there is for the car on the inside of you and just ahead.

A two lane roundabout is as safe a place to pass as anywhere else. Any driver not checking blind spots before changing lanes is asking for trouble.

I find roundabouts quite safe places to overtake, because most people use good lane discipline. Driver behaviour is quite predictable on a roundabout.

Overtaking on normal roads is much more hazardous IMO.

A two lane roundabout is as safe a place to pass as anywhere else. Any driver not checking blind spots before changing lanes is asking for trouble.

I find roundabouts quite safe places to overtake, because most people use good lane discipline. Driver behaviour is quite predictable on a roundabout.

Overtaking on normal roads is much more hazardous IMO.

Ooh, don't get me wrong, i'm confident in my own ability, it's the factors i have no control over that have set my personal choice/opinion on this. But like i say, i'm quite defensive in my style of driving. It suits my current situation. Doesn't mean you'll die for not having the same opinion/mindset. :)

A two lane roundabout is as safe a place to pass as anywhere else.

Cars travelling at a faster speed are certainly allowed to pass, the lanes are quite often marked with arrows, you can even pass on the left, maybe not always a good idea to drive to aggresively tho.

As long as there isn't some other reason not to, I don't see why not. In the example you gave if it's a large two lane roundabout on a dual carriageway, clear except for that one car & the other driver isn't wandering across their lane or anything, why not?

Some roundabouts it's not going to be practical, but it's possible to overtake safely on a roundabout.

Yes, so long as the other driver appears to be observing good lane discipline.

If I'm going to do it though, I always do it quickly, hanging about in the blind spot whilst passing slowly and both exiting is asking for them to cut the corner and side swipe you.

On larger roundabouts, motorway or Park square for example, it's pretty much impossible to not either be passing or passed by someone, there are multiple lanes all moving at different speeds.

I would (and do) overtake here for example, knowing that there are 2 lanes to exit (going towards the parkway).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.355495,-1.388155,3a,75y,354.76h,87.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s_FAynAohiO73MvvSl0H94A!2e0

Also here (very similar)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.353714,-1.348232,3a,75y,232.49h,93.4t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sz5qKwgAm90ifxuLGZdRSnA!2e0

Less often here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.355323,-1.328235,3a,75y,216.28h,74.58t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOlcuLByRtN1uTc20PJ2DWg!2e0

And only if someone is particularly dawdling, as really I want to be past them on the 2 lane section before we enter the roundabout.