Old Pennies..are they worth anything?

We have just been sifting through some old stuff and have come across and old penny (1d)..Its got Queen Victorias head on it and on the other side the date is 1896. Its quite dirty though. Is it likely to be worth anything does anyone know? We also have quite a large collection of old sixpences too.

From my very limited knowledge of old coins, you'd be lucky to get a quid for it. Have a look on ebay if you're not sure.

I have a hundreds of these with years from 1880s to 1960s, have asked coin collectors but nobody seems interested. If you go into the larger antiques shops they have buckets full of them and will give you a mixed bag for a quid.

There are a few rare years which may be worth a bit more.

We have just been sifting through some old stuff and have come across and old penny (1d)..Its got Queen Victorias head on it and on the other side the date is 1896. Its quite dirty though. Is it likely to be worth anything does anyone know? We also have quite a large collection of old sixpences too.
That year nope not really soz

we have just been sifting through some old stuff and have come across and old penny (1d)..its got queen victorias head on it and on the other side the date is 1896. Its quite dirty though. Is it likely to be worth anything does anyone know? We also have quite a large collection of old sixpences too.
hi look for 1869 worth a mint

I have a hundreds of these with years from 1880s to 1960s, have asked coin collectors but nobody seems interested. If you go into the larger antiques shops they have buckets full of them and will give you a mixed bag for a quid.

There are a few rare years which may be worth a bit more.

That's true, the 1936 penny, which was minted for Edward VIII (the king who abdicated) is a rare bird.

That's true, the 1936 penny, which was minted for Edward VIII (the king who abdicated) is a rare bird.

...and worth 60k each according to the one show last night.

...and worth 60k each according to the one show last night.

blimey o'reilley! didn't think they were worth that much, a couple of hundred pounds maybe, but *faints*

The 1933 penny is worth a few thousand too

The 1933 penny is worth a few thousand too

you're right. that's actually the one I meant ........

aaah, proper money! Those were the days. Everything doubled in price on D Day, iirc!

From memory, the 1918 penny with KN in little letters after the date is worth quite a bit, certainly 1933. My dad, born 1930, was given a penny every year of that year and swears blind that he would have been given one in 1933 but most probably spent it!