Peter Robinson Store?

Just wondered where, and what, this shop was? Apparently it created Topshop in the 1960's, with Topshop having it's first store here in Sheffield???

Never heard of Peter Robinson before, so wondered if there might be anyone on here who shopped or worked there?

Hi

I rememder it well, great clothes jewellery & biba make up.....the days of bright coloured tights ha top of king street if my memory serves me correctly

Peter Robinson was a clothing shop for ladies. It belonged to Burton Tailoring, and was the ladies section of the business. It stood at the junction of Angel Street and High Street. This site had been a Burton shop, which was totally gutted in the Sheffield Blitz. Primark now occupy the store.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

Hi

I rememder it well, great clothes jewellery & biba make up.....the days of bright coloured tights ha top of king street if my memory serves me correctly

Yep I agree.

Quite a modern shop in it's day then, what with Biba there and what not... Shame another similar shop wouldn't want to be based there again really - shops as large as the Primark and TJ Hughes make me feel bad that noone wants them that sells anything worth buying!!! When did Sheffield start to lose good retailers? This part of the forum does suggest that Sheffield was once a really vibrant place for shopping, and not just in the city centre... I'd love to know what it used to be like, as only been here about 12years, so I just caught the tail end of House of Fraser...

There was a "Biba" shop, back in the 1970's, on High street, inside a store called Van Allen.

Van Allen was on the block that Boots expanded into, around where Maccy D's and Klick photostore are now.

I loved their clothes and make up. Very "hippy" and "Bohemian"! :D

Ladystar, yes it was a wonderful place to shop back then - much more choice.

I used to love Peter Robinson. It was in the part of Primark where you go in at the top, by the tram stop. I loved the bright carrier bags which were 1/6d. They were always on a stand outside the doors and you were trusted to put your 1/6d in the box and just take one!!!!! How times change.

There was a "Biba" shop, back in the 1970's, on High street, inside a store called Van Allen.

Van Allen was on the block that Boots expanded into, around where Maccy D's and Klick photostore are now.

I worked at Van Allen my uniform was Pink and White spotted top and Light Blue and White spotted top.

It was ok to work there but my favourite place of work was Peter Robinson's

Hi motownbabe there used to be an older lady worked there in the 70s called Effie.........ring any bells

Hi motownbabe there used to be an older lady worked there in the 70s called Effie.........ring any bells

I am not sure but I think she may have worked in the Restaurant.

I had such happy times at Peter Robinson's :|

Denise ran the Biba consession there was also a shoe consession called Tobias Tina ran that.

Denise works at the perfume place in Crystal Peaks now.

I worked at Van Allen my uniform was Pink and White spotted top and Light Blue and White spotted top.

It was ok to work there but my favourite place of work was Peter Robinson's

When did you work at Van Allen?.