Shooting brakes\estate cars

When I was a lad some 50 years ago my father always called estate cars shooting brakes. Anybody else heard this phrase and what does it mean?

The old fellow who lived next door to me, years ago, called the neighbour's articulated lorry a "Shooting Brake". (whereas I would have followed my father's lead, and referred to it as a "wagon".)

My Granddad had one in the early 1950s which he used for his milk round. It was a sort of large estate car with wooden cladding at the sides. I've no idea what make or model it it was, but I do remember the gear lever coming off in his hand as we drove down Chesterfield Road.

Articulated lorries were known as "tickers" by us, and my dad in the early fifties used to have an Austin A40 Countryman known as a shooting brake, it was literally a red van with a window cut in the side and a bench seat bolted to the floor behind the driver and front seat passenger.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=austin+a40+countryman&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JhL6VLbhOYqM7QbOo4D4AQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=942#imgdii=_&imgrc=3KYMgqgYLjFXDM%253A%3BcLnSYadk9J7wIM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.oldclassiccar.co.uk%252Fphotos-cars2%252F35.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.oldclassiccar.co.uk%252Fphotos-cars2%252Faustin_a40_countryman_35.htm%3B600%3B433

Mercedes still use the term Shooting Brake for some of their estates. The CLS i think

I have personally never heard an English person using the term, but I have been aware of it for years as it is one of two common descriptions of an estate car in popular 20th century American / Canadian Novels. Before the internet I would look up such terms in my huge Collins English dictionary in my 20s.

When I was a lad my Dad bought a Hillman Avenger estate, my Gran always referred to it as a "Shooting Brake" .

It must have stuck in my mind because I still use that name for estate cars ;):cool:

I still call older estates -shooting brakes---my dad gave a pal a hand to make one from a van ------best one I ever saw was a Humber Hawk in bright green with wooden trim about 1967--used to see it around Darnall

One of my aunties always used to refer to estate cars as shooting brakes.

I remember it being used during my childhood, but "estate car" was the more popular term. They have always to my knowledge been called "station wagons" in North America.