Best Wards pubs

I don't half miss Wards best bitter I would give anything for nice pint of Wards best.I used travel around the city looking for the best pint, my favourite pubs for a good pint of Wards was the barrel on London road the Hermitage and the Domino in the flats near upper hanover st,any stories about favorite Wards pub.

Any pub that served WARDS fine malt ale was a favorite. The domino was my local as i used to live on the flats. I think the original landlords name was trevor,and was in the Guards.Last time i was in sheffield i stopped in the Barrel. The pub accross the road , the tramways,was also on my rounds.Sorry to see the condition of the site now.I also remember the Hemitage, sunday morning topless dancers.(or so i am told) SHARROWYANK

used to like Red Lion on Charles St. always folk popping in on their way to somewhere or other in town

shakespeare on shalesmoor used to do a cracking pint of wards

" dust hole " (industry) at darnall

Earl of Arundal in Sheffield, Turners Arms (green bricks)in Rotherham.

forgot about rotherham pubs, the crinoline across from the bus station

Manchester hotel on Nursery Street when Walt Richmond had it.The worst without any doubt was the Harlequin when Joe Worley had it.Flat as a f@@t and tasted vile.

Wards was a great pint when it was on form. It took some skill though to get it to the glass at it's best.

When delivered (in wooden barrels) it had to be tapped and splined. It would

then start to ferment over a few days and the skill was to know just when it was ready. This was done by monitoring the foam that came out of the spline and

being ready to serve it at the right moment.

Wards was easily ruined by dirty pipes, it would taint even the best barrel if

the landlord didn't get that right, and of course spotless glasses.

Total respect to the publicans who served good Wards, it's hard enough running a pub, but to be able to finish the brewing and time each barrel to be served at the right time was no mean feat.

Back to the original post :-)

Brown Cow Mowbray St

Bird In Hand Eckington

Norfolk Arms Grenno

Manchester Nursery St

Domino

The worst pint of wards I can remember having belive or not was the pub across the road from the brewery can't remember the name of it but I went in there a few times and it always seemed to be a bit murky and flat.its true what they used to say about Wards bitter if the landlord did not look after the beer properly it was a horrible pint.one of the best pints of Wards was served in the bridge down Heely used to frequent that pub when I was younger,I'm not sure but was the old crown up the road from the bridge a Wards pub..I still think the Domino pubs pint of Wards was cracking pint and in its heyday what a fantastic pub it was as well ultra modern with a panoramic view through the large windows..

Had some fantastic pints of Wards in the Grindstone, Crookes but that was in 1985. It was in a class of its own.

I heard once that someone was brewing Wards in a micro brewery??

They got the original recipe (if that's the right word) from Vaux iirc.

Anyone else heard that?