Peter Robinson Store?

Would anyone be interested in sharing their memories of clothes shopping in the 60s and 70s please? I'm an academic researcher looking at the expansion of fashion retailers (eg TopShop, Miss Selfridge, Chelsea Girl ) in this period and am keep to speak to people who remember visiting these shops.

Peter Robinson's was located where Primark is now. The shop was then bought by C&A (remember them?), before changing to Primark. It was a fabulous department store and what later became Top Shop was on the top floor. I bought a lovely military style maxi-coat from there. Although C&A was a good shop as well, I was sorry to see Peter Robinson's close.

---------- Post added 13-02-2015 at 15:55 ----------

Quite a modern shop in it's day then, what with Biba there and what not... Shame another similar shop wouldn't want to be based there again really - shops as large as the Primark and TJ Hughes make me feel bad that noone wants them that sells anything worth buying!!! When did Sheffield start to lose good retailers? This part of the forum does suggest that Sheffield was once a really vibrant place for shopping, and not just in the city centre... I'd love to know what it used to be like, as only been here about 12years, so I just caught the tail end of House of Fraser...

You are dead right that there are very few quality shops in the city centre any more. It used to be a vibrant place to go shopping, with more independent small retailers than there are now. I think it is only now that it is recovering from Meadowhall, although it still has a long way to go. The trouble with TJ Hughes is that it is just plain tacky. The goods it sells are badly displayed and it just doesn't feel customer friendly. Walshes, who changed their name to Rackhams and were part of the House of Fraser chain, originally occupied that site and was a fabulous store, with beautifully decorated windows that practically invited customers in. I went there regularly, either to browse amongst the lovely things they sold, or - if I was feeling flush - to buy. They used to sell very nice leather gloves in a range of colours, that were a perfect fit. Walshes had a small delicatessen shop on the mezzanine floor which was always worth a visit. House of Fraser have a branch in Meadowhall, but it isn't a patch on the original city centre store.

---------- Post added 13-02-2015 at 16:14 ----------

Peter Robinsons-I remember it well you had to climb a staircase i recall to get in the shop which sold fabulous clothes,i bought a beautiful purple mini dress with tiny buttons from neck to hem that cost a whopping £5 ( a weeks wage for me then) I remember the juke box where you could also put on yr favourite record whilst you browsed,I wore Biba makeup too,Yellow 3 was the best foundation I ever had! Anybody who was anybody shopped at Peter Robinsons,or Chelsea girl just around the corner,I also recall a shop at the back of the peace gardens called' LIft up your skirts and fly' which I believe then became Strawberry Fair,does anyone remember that boutique?

Yes, I remember Chelsea Girl - it was a great boutique and not particularly expensive either - a bonus when you are only earning £10 a week. Dorothy Perkins was also located nearby. I don't remember "Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly" though - possibly because of its location. I do remember shopping in a boutique across the road from the old Pollards shop on Charles Street. I can't recall the name of the shop, but Jeff Banks clothes were sold on the lower ground floor.

Edited by earthdragon

Peter Robinson's was located where Primark is now. The shop was then bought by C&A (remember them?), before changing to Primark. It was a fabulous department store and what later became Top Shop was on the top floor. I bought a lovely military style maxi-coat from there. Although C&A was a good shop as well, I was sorry to see Peter Robinson's close.

---------- Post added 13-02-2015 at 15:55 ----------

I always thought Peter Robinson was at the top of King street on the opposite side of the road to C & A. I think the Danish Kitchen was in the same building (Refuge Insurance Company building ?.) now Castle House. Also remember Hornes being below in the entrance to the subway leading to the hole in the road

Peter Robinsons - fabulous shop 3 floor and a coffee shop on the top floor. Great clothes my friend was the window dresser there, I bought a Jeff Banks blouse there before he became famous, wish I had it now. Hornes was on the opposite side at the top of King Street. 2 great shops for the times pity we lost them.

Did anyone used to work at Peter Robinson? I'm trying to do some research about the store and would love to hear from people who used to work there!