Cat fell off 5th floor

Hi,

I want to post this up for some feedback and not sure where to post.

My cat is 2 years and a very big cat. fell off the 5th floor window yesterday night at 1am, she just fell, I still feel like im just in a bad dream. I really love her a lot. She fell at 1am wrapped her in a blanket brought her back upstairs I was crying so much. I was in my pjs and full of blood: I started calling so many numbers and by 2am had a vet open up his ward for poor fluffy. He seems to be the best but honestly none of my cats have ever been injured so I don’t know.

She had one eye seemed to be turned in its socket, lots of blood from there, also blood coming out of her mouth. He took her temperature (was low) and took an x-ray. He said unfortunately her lungs are filled up with blood.

He is keeping her for a few days. I called several times today he said she is stable but he cannot say if she will survive this fall or not as she is still in critical condition but has 24/7 surveillance and he promised that whatever can be done is being done.

He mentioned he has seen worse cases that lived yet less severe cases that have died. He also said the first 24hrs are crucial then the next 3 days are crucial then if she is still alive after that he can asses more how her body is doing as each cat is different.

I am not doing okay, really im not, I cant stop crying. I know crying wont help her but right now I just need to hear that she will be ok and specifically I am feeling so much pitty about the pain I saw her in. He said he has her on an IV for fluids and also for pain management.

He didn’t mention putting her to sleep at first, So I asked if that was necessary at this point as I don’t want to be selfish and poor fluffy was just in so much pain. He said its my call but there is a chance of survival so we should go with that.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do, I feel helpless. Also any similar stories specifically with a fall of a kitty with xrays showing that the lungs are filled up with blood (yet showing all organs are where they are supposed to be) and what is in store for her? What should I do from my part in the next few days?

Hi I'm afraid I haven't any advice as such, but I really hope that Fluffy will be okay. Don't worry about crying all the time, it's natural after what your cat has been through. People often downplay the impact of ill health of pets on their owners, but they really are part of the family.

Just look after yourself over the next few days. I hope that you'll be able to visit Fluffy at the vets....Keep us updataed

We had a cat that suffer a broken jaw and lost a front limb due to a head on collision with a car, he was in a right mess after the accident both with his injuries and shock. Our vets didn't provide 24hr emergency care, so I had to make a mercy dash to one that had an emergency service. It took months of care blending food for him, he lived to a very old age and enjoyed his life to the full.

I do hope your cat pulls through.

It serves as a reminder that cats do injure themselves when falling from height, as the momentum carries through on impact fractured jaws and damage to organs etc.

All the best to the o/p and her cat.

From experience your cat will need to be quiet and rested, I didn't visit mine until he was over the worst and had had his operations, it can be quite traumatic for an animal if it's fussed over when it needs to focus energy and time healing rather than distractions. That's my take on it but everyone is different.

Hi I'm afraid I haven't any advice as such, but I really hope that Fluffy will be okay. Don't worry about crying all the time, it's natural after what your cat has been through. People often downplay the impact of ill health of pets on their owners, but they really are part of the family.

Just look after yourself over the next few days. I hope that you'll be able to visit Fluffy at the vets....Keep us updataed

We had a cat that suffer a broken jaw and lost a front limb due to a head on collision with a car, he was in a right mess after the accident both with his injuries and shock. Our vets didn't provide 24hr emergency care, so I had to make a mercy dash to one that had an emergency service. It took months of care blending food for him, he lived to a very old age and enjoyed his life to the full.

I do hope your cat pulls through.

It serves as a reminder that cats do injure themselves when falling from height, as the momentum carries through on impact fractured jaws and damage to organs etc.

All the best to the o/p and her cat.

Thank you for your reply. I will keep you posted. Im just in shock right now. Was really strong yesterday while she was in my hands until i got her the best care possible. Then i just emotionally collapsed.

---------- Post added 21-02-2015 at 21:43 ----------

I hope she will pull through. Im starting to feel abit calmer right now. It comes and goes. i get waves of just crying. Ive been this way all day. I know tmrw i cant go see her, he said that on monday i might be able to but most probably he'd prefer if i waited even longer than that. Im just wondering though would hearing my voice and me petting and cuddling her and being near her make her better? If its proven that yes then i may insist to go tmrw (Sunday) But in the end its his clinic if he says no i cant overstep my bounds? what do you think?

Fluffy might think you've come to take him home if he sees you. I'm sure the vet knows best.

I do know how you feel - I had to have my darling put to sleep Thursday & keep crying. But I know he is out of pain now.

Hope you have good news soon.

From experience your cat will need to be quiet and rested, I didn't visit mine until he was over the worst and had had his operations, it can be quite traumatic for an animal if it's fussed over when it needs to focus energy and time healing rather than distractions. That's my take on it but everyone is different.

Ok that makes sense. I will give him a call though. I limited my calls today to only 2 calls, one when he opened and once before he closed. You are right about not being fussed over, i think this is what the vet meant. And in the end i just want to do what is better for fluffy. At the moment i should just stick to what the vet is telling me. He is truly the best around and he does love animals very much, i know that for a fact because we once hung out in the same group and i remember him and his wife talking about animals with alot of love and he was talking about how much he loves his work. Plus he did get out of bed in a second at 2am to come open the clinic and start all the initial procedures the very same night.

He sounds like a diamond, Follow his advice and the very best of luck to you and fluffy.

Fluffy might think you've come to take him home if he sees you. I'm sure the vet knows best.

I do know how you feel - I had to have my darling put to sleep Thursday & keep crying. But I know he is out of pain now.

Hope you have good news soon.

Your cat, Why did you have to put her to sleep? Any yes atleast shes not in any pain. Thats what's hearbreaking the pain that you cant explain to them as you would to a human.

About me visiting her: Thats one way of looking at it that she might think i came to take her home, that could be a minus and not good for her morals. but another way of thinking of it is that maybe being around someone who loves her so much might lift her morals?

Maybe i can suggest to the vet if i can be involved with the caretaking after another 24hrs so at that point she wouldve been left 48hrs. Its tricky about not making the doctor feel like your going overboard.

Also he did say he has a policy of not alowing patients into the actual operating room at any point. So when she in there being placed into an IV he said that area is a prohibited zone.

here is some other feedback i got from a professional that also makes sense though

"I think that this is your cat. I also think that being there, to provide love, and care is as important as medical care. If you want to see your cat tell the vet. They cannot deny you access to her. Although they may ask that you not touch her. I always encourage my clients to visit. To sit with them, cuddle them, and help us feed the pets. It does a few things. It keeps the severity of the situation alive. We don't always get happy endings, and pets don't always leave the hospital alive, so any time that my clients can spend with their pet is important. It also helps my client understand what we are doing, what they are being charged for, and helps build a bond between the patient, the client and the vet staff. They understand the situation, and are able to come to turns with the situation better.

Ask to see your cat, tell her that you love her, and thank your vet for helping to care for her. It takes a village to treat a cat. And the best endings are always through team efforts."

So as i said, maybe ill stay away another 24hrs, that would make a total of 48 hrs, then maybe i should insist to get in and see her?

"

I'm sorry to hear about Fluffy's accident and the emotional upheaval and stress you must be feeling right now, trying to work out the best course of action.

It sounds very much like your vet has his head screwed on about the best course of action. Fluffy will be sedated by the painkillers that she is on at the moment, so she's not likely to be able to respond too well to you even if you were able to go and visit without being too distressed.

Crossed fingers that her body is strong enough to heal from this accident and that the damage to her lungs heals.

Thank you medusa. I believe that any positive energy in thoughts right now is a plus whether from here on from my freinds and family, anything let out with some positivity to fluffy will help. She needs it.

Best wishes for Fluffy's full recovery, hope that you are ok as well, things like that are just so traumatic xx