Does anyone know where to get a tortoise from?

We have been thinking and researching this for quite some time but wondered if anyone knew where you can get them from. Most places are selling the ones that live in a tank which is not what i was lookin for.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.

Tortoises do not live in tanks, those are turtles or terrapins. It is illegal to sell tortoises in this country as they are an endangered species. You will need a registered breeder if you want one over here. Pet shops don't sell them

I have 2 tortoises what live in a vivarium, They are horsefield tortoises , they are lovely animals and they need a heated viv . I love it when they come on holiday here , they were in a glass tank when they were small again with heat pad and light . you can buy only from a licensed breeder I believe

I have 2 tortoises what live in a vivarium, They are horsefield tortoises , they are lovely animals and they need a heated viv . I love it when they come on holiday here , they were in a glass tank when they were small again with heat pad and light . you can buy only from a licensed breeder I believe

That is correct Teeny, registered breeders only

I believe the snake shop on attercliffe may have a licence or know how to obtain tortoises

Yes I agree the snake shop is the best place John the owner will explain all the pros and cons without trying to push you into buying he only supplies legit captive bred stock properly registered and kept on his premises

thats all great advice thanks very much to all who replied!

thats all great advice thanks very much to all who replied!

please post piccys when you get some !!:D

pretty sure Blue Lizard reptiles at Dinnington also sell horsefields tortoises and setups.

I've seen tortoises for sale at both the snake shop in attercliffe and Blue Lizard reptiles at dinnington. You could also try the lizard lounge at hillsborough. I've certainly bought food for mine from there, so they should have the animals. I seem to think attercliffe only do horsefields and the one in dinnington had a choice. You could also try snakes and adders at manor top, sure they had some last time I went in.

Tortoises do not live in tanks, those are turtles or terrapins. It is illegal to sell tortoises in this country as they are an endangered species. You will need a registered breeder if you want one over here. Pet shops don't sell them

Factually incorrect!

There are many species of tortoise that can be bought and sold legally by anybody.

The ones you are referring too are Hermans which can still be bought and sold by anyone who has them registered with CITES and passes all paperwork to the new owner and then reports them as sold.

I own a tortoise myself a Brazillian redfoot who is quite large but still young at about 12" long at the moment and still growing.

I would suggest looking at horsefield tortoises for the easiest to keep and buy

TORTOISES SHOULD NOT LIVE IN A VIV!!!! they should be in an open table top tray with a heat lamp as well as a UV lamp. For any info on keeping tortoises please go to the tortoise trust website and read up before buying one. http://WWW.tortoisetrust.org and don't forget if you're buying a tortoise it could, in essence, outlive you.

Heeley Farm are also running courses on how to look after tortoises, check their website for dates and times.

Edited by AMR67