Can I give my dog a lamb leg bone

As above...is it safe to give him the bone left over from full leg of lamb from Sunday roast..??... Unsure if they splinter

Yes it is, ours eats lamb and pork bones (usually don't buy beef with bone, but that would be alright too).

Depends on the dog really, poweful jaw will shatter a lamb leg bone

He,s a boxer cross... 2 years old,allthough since posting this I've been looking on rspca site and they say you can give them bones,however,only raw as cooked bones splinter?

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 00:10 ----------

He,s a boxer cross... 2 years old,allthough since posting this I've been looking on rspca site and they say you can give them bones,however,only raw as cooked bones splinter?

And it's been roasted..

My sheltie like lamb bones with no ill effects

No, it is not safe for the reason you mention. Never give cooked bones to a dog. It's worth remembering that the British Veterinary Association does not recommend giving bones at all, possibly because it is their members who have to pick up the pieces when there has been a mishap. If the dog likes chewing (not all are bothered), there are some safe commercial toys e.g. Kong and Nylabone.

No, it is not safe for the reason you mention. Never give cooked bones to a dog. It's worth remembering that the British Veterinary Association does not recommend giving bones at all, possibly because it is their members who have to pick up the pieces when there has been a mishap. If the dog likes chewing (not all are bothered), there are some safe commercial toys e.g. Kong and Nylabone.

where is that on their site ? as pet shops sell cooked bones ! also many vets recommend bones for good teeth ?

I would agree with ccit all the way but will say i used to give cooked to my old dog but he could only scrape them an if i heard a slight crunch it was gone.

my dog is fed on a raw and left over diet (raw bones)

I would never cooked/ roasted bones they seem to get very sharp and 'dry'

Under no cirumstances give a dog cooked bones, my old dog pinched some before I could stop him and it killed him. I have never forgiven myself.

Don't give dogs cooked bones they splinter and cause obstructions. Raw bones only

Yearsa go my little dog got hold of a cooked spare rib bone, as it passed throuher, the screaming was awful, never again.