Can I give my dog a lamb leg bone

I give my dog antler stag bars, they are a little expensive but last him a long time :)

We had a leftover lamb bone from out sunday roast the other day actually and my OH held it by the ends and let her nibble and pull the bits off with her front teeth without having hold of the whole thing. I personally wouldn't let her hold it as it'd break too easily, but the scraps stuck to it were a nice treat and it cleans the front teeth!

Obviously I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you know you can trust your dog not to be funny about it.

never give your dog a cooked bone, raw bones are ok. Weight baring bones from larger animals (cow / sheep etc) such as leg bones etc should only really be given as a recreational bone and the dog shouldn't "eat" it. They are much harder and can sometimes damage teeth.

My dogs have bones on an almost daily basis but they are completely raw fed and have been for a while so they are used to them.

---------- Post added 05-02-2015 at 22:38 ----------

No, it is not safe for the reason you mention. Never give cooked bones to a dog. It's worth remembering that the British Veterinary Association does not recommend giving bones at all, possibly because it is their members who have to pick up the pieces when there has been a mishap. If the dog likes chewing (not all are bothered), there are some safe commercial toys e.g. Kong and Nylabone.

As another point of view, thousands of dogs eat raw bones every day and don't have any problems what so ever.

I used to allow my Cairn to have roasted lamb bones but stopped doing it because the digested bone caused a painful blockage in her anus. I managed to squeeze the blockage out and it was a solid mass of bone. No wonder it hurt! And, of course, there is the danger of the bone splintering. Instead, I gave her chews that you can buy from pet shops and supermarkets, which are much safer.

Heather also had a fondness for chewing golf balls, which also had to be stopped because the bits got stuck between her back teeth. Trying to remove a lump of plastic from your dog's teeth, whilst trying to avoid getting bitten, isn't much fun.

I used to allow my Cairn to have roasted lamb bones but stopped doing it because the digested bone caused a painful blockage in her anus. I managed to squeeze the blockage out and it was a solid mass of bone. No wonder it hurt! And, of course, there is the danger of the bone splintering. Instead, I gave her chews that you can buy from pet shops and supermarkets, which are much safer.

Heather also had a fondness for chewing golf balls, which also had to be stopped because the bits got stuck between her back teeth. Trying to remove a lump of plastic from your dog's teeth, whilst trying to avoid getting bitten, isn't much fun.

The chews appear safer, but when you look at the ingredients it may change your mind.

Never give your dog cooked or roasted bones, raw bones are fine for dogs to chew / eat as part of their diet if they eat a raw food diet. Weight baring bones (leg bones for example) are usually harder that other bones such as spines / necks / ribs and shouldn't be fed to the dog. They are more recreational.

I have labs . I give them antlers . They last and are good for them they are a little expensive, but nothing else lasts like these . As a treat they get dried duck necks from the pet shop .

I used to let my dog have cooked bones, but stopped after I saw the chunks of bone he had passed after chewing it up. One of those could have ripped through his intestines, fortunately he was fine, but never again after that.