Puppy won't walk

Hi everyone. My 10 week old puppy won't walk when out. He has a harness rather than a collar because of this. He just sits there or lays down. Any tips on how to encourage him? Will puppy trying benefit him? If so can anyone recommend a training class please?

Janette

Mine was exactly the same untill he was about three months. Keep putting treats a little in front helps . And puppy training helps I used "people and dogs" they were ok .

Work on it in the house - put the collar/harness and lead on and call him. Have a small treat in your hand and praise him when he comes. Do the same in the garden. Another way of encouraging them to walk is to go with another dog owner - that usually works because they try to keep up. Pup is very young so try not to be worried about this - don't push too hard and he will get the hang of it in the end.

Not sure whether this is a good idea or not. For many years I worked with horses and to encourage the foals to walk one person would walk to the side of the foal and the other one also to the side, but towards the rear end and encouraged the foal to walk forward by pushing on their hindquarters. You could improvise and find something strong but soft to push the puppy forward? just my thoughts...

with mine I borrowed another dog who i knew badger would like and it worked , Sandy showed him exactly what to do including weeing outside !!

We have always done things very slowly with pups, let them first get used to the collar then put the lead on letting them just wear it in the house for a while, after they ignore the lead only then do we pick it up, encourage them to walk at the side of you with either a treat or a favorite toy, when they do it inside then move on to the garden and progress, they soon catch on.

Its a big new world at 10 weeks they are still very much a baby so expect it all to take time.

Oh yes...where are the pics???? :)

Hi everyone. My 10 week old puppy won't walk when out. He has a harness rather than a collar because of this. He just sits there or lays down. Any tips on how to encourage him? Will puppy trying benefit him? If so can anyone recommend a training class please?

Janette

To be honest, 10 weeks is very young to be expected to go for walks in the big wide world and I'm not surprised that he is reluctant. He is just a baby after all and probably just wants to be carried. You don't say what breed he is. If he is one of the smaller breeds, like a terrier or spaniel, the sight of all those big people is probably terrifying.

I would be patient with him and practice using the lead either in the house or in your garden/yard, until he is comfortable with it.