Starter tank for tropical fish

I am thinking about getting a fish tank for my kids so they can have their 1st pet, we went into pets at home and they do some tanks around 20 -30 litre that come with lights,filters etc. are these a good starting point or a waste of time.

cheers

My betta is in a 25 litre tank. Best to do your research on caring for them as they have different needs to other fish (filter flow has to be very low, need caves for hiding, can't live with other fish, etc.)

As far as fish for that size tank go then that's all you can really do.

As Notreve says, unless you intend to keep a single male Betta, that size tank won't be much use! I made the same mistake, I bought a small 20L tank before doing any research and that was the only fish I could house in mine!

Soon after, I bought a 65L tank which is much better. It's still not as big as I'd like but definitely better if you're wanting to keep more than 1 fish! The 65L doesn't really take up much room and is small enough to maintain very easily.

Also, P@H are pretty expensive! My 65L was £90 from Amazon and came with heater, filter and free delivery :)

Edited by angel22

cheers for the reply's, as advised I'm not bothering with the small tank. I'm going to have a look in Sheffield aquatics this weekend to see what sort of prices their tanks are

By all means have a look at their tanks. But I would advise you not to buy any fish from there! Best places to get fish from are Elm Lane Aquatics and Wentworth Garden Centre.

Have you researched how to properly cycle a new fish tank?

I can vouch for Wentworth and Elm Lane. Was actually in Wentworth last weekend, clean and knowledgeable staff who are happy to help.

I actually got my first tank from Sheffield Aquatics after being told 10-12 fish would live happily in a 25 litre tank. Only after doing my research online did I realise how wrong it was. By all means check it out, just be wary of the advice.

cheers for the reply's, as advised I'm not bothering with the small tank. I'm going to have a look in Sheffield aquatics this weekend to see what sort of prices their tanks are

Look for a second hand tank, about 125l.

I got one a little bit smaller for just £20.

Or try seapets (website). I got my brand new 200l tank for £160 on there. Inc. Filter and heater etc.

Tanks do seem to be much, much cheaper online. Have a look around the shops, see which tanks you like the look of, then go home and buy it online! That way, you'll know exactly what your getting but you'll get it at a good price :)

Thanks for all the replies. We went in for a mooch and came out with a 54L starter tank and a bag of gravel. I have since seen reviews about elm lane and wentworth.

the tank has been running for about a week, I need to drain some water out as it has a load of bits floating as I did not rinse my ornaments before putting them in.

I now have a water test kit and will finish with a fish in cycle with regular water checks and changes

If you do a fish in cycle, you will need to be doing large water changes EVERY day to keep the ammonia and nitrites down. Doing a fish in cycle is hard work and the chances are you'll lose some fish.

Please consider a fishless cycle. It's so much easier and much kinder to fish.

A fish-in cycle, although no longer recommended or considered the best way to do it, is still a valid method as long as it is done properly with the appropriate species of fish. A lot of fish will not be able to handle to changes in chemistry, whereas other hardy species will cope just fine. But as angel said, water changes and testing are required constantly for the first 4-6 weeks.

Out of interest, what stock are looking putting in the tank?

And secondly, if doing a fish-in cycle, try and get some gravel or filter media or something from a mature tank that will help speed up the process greatly.