Wanting a dalmation??

We are thinking of getting another dog after waiting 2 months since our beloved doberman passed awy.

We have decided against another doberman because we would be trying to look out for our old pet.

So we have decided on a dalmation.

Can anyone recommend anywhere to look?

Cheers

Ian

Before you get a dalmatian, can I suggest that you get your head around quite how attractive they are to everybody? Dobes come in the same category as GSDs (i.e. people around them act with respect, only approach if they have talked to you etc) but dallies get every child from 100 yards around hanging around their neck, given half the chance. This can lead to a completely different type of management issue, particularly if the dog isn't keen on being approached by screaming children.

I was amazed at the difference in the reception, when seeing how people are around them. Disney has a lot to answer for ;)

What the ****

People loved our dobe too.its how you bring them up

---------- Post added 13-04-2016 at 23:48 ----------

Oh and poodles.collies.jack russells.lassie dogs.king charles.labs.greyhounds.

Who you blaming now?

Walt disney? Pdsa? Swfc? Sufc? Schools? Goverment?

But thanks for your useless info and the time it took to research your opinions.

We had a dobe for 12 years so i think we are pretty upto date for looking after our pets!!!

Hang on a minute- I wasn't blaming anybody for anything (note the smily at the end?). All I was saying is that children out in parks tend to leave some breeds alone (dobes tend to be more in that group) but come running to fuss a dalmatian irrelevant of whether you or the dog are happy with it. At no point did I say anything about your ability to choose or care for your dog.

Have you checked online for the Dalmation breed clubs? They are also listed on the Kennel Club website. You would be more likely to get a good one from a breed club member because they are usually committed to improving the health of their breed and will also have had the parents tested for hereditary disease. Also they are able to give help and useful advice.

Choose a breeder that has been in the breed for a few years and knows their lines. The KC Assured Breeder list might be helpful but you still need to do your homework to ensure the pup is well bred.

Having had an elderly dog, prepare yourself for a shock. Most people who start again with a pup (of whatever breed) have forgotten how demanding and tiring puppies are. Good luck and hope you find a good one.

So you are saying basically dont get a dalmatjon.

---------- Post added 14-04-2016 at 06:45 ----------

If not then what is the point of your post??

I don't think anyone was saying don't get a Dalmation? This is a really friendly pet section where people just like to chat and offer helpful hints. I think people were just pointing out the difference between the two breeds you highlighted.

Anyway I have hopefully attached a link to the kennel club website where you can view available puppies and find out anything else you want to know about hereditary problems etc for all types of dogs.

Good luck in your search and make sure you share a picture of the new arrival!

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findapuppy/Default.aspx?id=4087

Dorberman - let's not start an argument. Just do plenty of research into your chosen breed then you will know if it is the right one for you and that you can cope with it. You are used to big dogs so that's a good start.

You can't do better than approach the breed club/s. I believe that one of the forum members (is it Lottie?) has Dalmations. Maybe you would like to send her a private message. Take your time and hopefully you will get a nice, healthy pup.

Lotie on here has 3 Dals, she'd probably be able to recommend a good breeder. Make sure any pups you go to see are BAER tested for deafness x

Dalmations are wonderful dogs :) lots of energy and some good training as pups and they make really lovely pets x

I have a Dobermann and my best friend has a Dalmatian. I think anyone who has had a dobe can handle a dally but I don't think medusa was being funny with you or about either breed, she was pointing out a key difference that probably isn't mentioned much. Kids are drawn to my friends dally, not that it's ever a problem for her though as she's great with kids. She travelled quite far to get her Dalmatian. Are you wanting a breeder close by or are you willing to rescue?

Edited by Gemma-S

What the ****

People loved our dobe too.its how you bring them up

---------- Post added 13-04-2016 at 23:48 ----------

Oh and poodles.collies.jack russells.lassie dogs.king charles.labs.greyhounds.

Who you blaming now?

Walt disney? Pdsa? Swfc? Sufc? Schools? Goverment?

But thanks for your useless info and the time it took to research your opinions.

We had a dobe for 12 years so i think we are pretty upto date for looking after our pets!!!

Goodness what an overly tetchy reaction from the OP to what I thought was a fair and balanced post