Cat Owners Beware of "Metacam"

Metacam is a painkiller that Vets prescribe , BUT it can be very harmful & often Fatal for cats, as I have recently found out. I took our 12 year old cat Cassie to a Vet for a Dental, it was my first visit to this Practice, the Vet recommended that Cassie needed 4 teeth removing, I booked her in, she had the dental work done, she was put on a course of Metacam for pain relief, but 2 weeks on & couple more visits to the Vet she had not recovered, she was not eating & then started being sick, 2 weeks later she died in my arms of kidney failure..

Before the Dental she showed no other signs of any other problems or illness.

I did research on the medication on the internet & I was shocked to find hundreds of similar stories & it was Metacam that did the damage.

I have since learned that Any Vet prescribing Metacam especially to a cat that is over 8 years old, should insist on doing Blood Tests before giving this dangerous drug, But also before giving any anaesthetics or antibiotics.

So be very aware Metacam can & will Kill your cat, if the very necessary blood test are not done first .

Can Anyone Recommend A GOOD Vet, South Sheffield area preferably

Please Non for Vets4pets

Edited by Pussycat12
added wording

Metacam is a painkiller that Vets prescribe , BUT it can be very harmful & often Fatal for cats, as I have recently found out. I took our 12 year old cat Cassie to a Vet for a Dental, it was my first visit to this Practice, the Vet recommended that Cassie needed 4 teeth removing, I booked her in, she had the dental work done, she was put on a course of Metacam for pain relief, but 2 weeks on & couple more visits to the Vet she had not recovered, she was not eating & then started being sick, 2 weeks later she died in my arms of kidney failure..

Before the Dental she showed no other signs of any other problems or illness.

I did research on the medication on the internet & I was shocked to find hundreds of similar stories & it was Metacam that did the damage.

I have since learned that Any Vet prescribing Metacam especially to a cat that is over 8 years old, should insist on doing Blood Tests before giving this dangerous drug, But also before giving any anaesthetics or antibiotics.

So be very aware Metacam can & will Kill your cat, if the very necessary blood test are not done first .

Can Anyone Recommend A GOOD Vet, South Sheffield area preferably[/b

Have the vets apologised ?

I took Harry my elderly rescue cat to the vets a few weeks ago, and he was prescribed Metacam. They took a urine sample to check his kidneys and said they were fine so he was ok to have it. Ever since then, he's thrown up at least once a day, sometimes twice. Could this be the Metacam?

Most of my cats have had Metacam for one reason or another over the years and they never had any tests prior to taking it and were always fine. I do know that the vets always used to give cats the Metacam for dogs - as I believe there wasn't a specific one for cats.

I do remember, however, when they introduced the Metacam for cats that my vet warned me to return if it made my cat sick...which it did. He was then put onto the Metacam for dogs and was fine.

It was very bizarre!!:loopy:

Sorry for your loss Pussycat12. :sad:

I took Harry my elderly rescue cat to the vets a few weeks ago, and he was prescribed Metacam. They took a urine sample to check his kidneys and said they were fine so he was ok to have it. Ever since then, he's thrown up at least once a day, sometimes twice. Could this be the Metacam?

Firstly a urine test will not give a credible result for his kidneys, & if he is being sick you should definitely stop the Metacam !!

To answer the other question about did my Vet apologise...they said they were sorry for my loss, but not for what they had done, they made excuse after excuse, but still charged me £1040.00 for the Treatments...shame full, at the end of the day they are only interested in how much cash they get out you

Edited by Pussycat12
revision

So sorry for you loss. I'm a pet owner so I know how it feels.

We have used several vets over the years. All of them have offered blood tests before any anaesthetic, even when neutering or spaying a young kitten. We have always been told blood tests will highlight any extra risk so have always chosen to pay the extra.

We have been using Wildbore in Worksop for many years. They are now in an easy to get to area with plenty of parking. They are great with communication and always tell us to phone if we have any questions. We have a sixteen year old diabetic cat with kidney problems. They are open late and weekends.

---------- Post added 28-03-2016 at 10:55 ----------

Any animal or human can have side effects to any medication. I unfortunately have bad reactions to many 'ordinary' low dose pain killers.

I stopped giving it, hes in the vets tomorrow so going to push for further investigation

I stopped giving it, hes in the vets tomorrow so going to push for further investigation

Peaches

Please Keep us all informed on here of the outcome

Best Wishes

He's been given some sensitive digestive special food to see if that helps, the lady I saw at PDSA thinks hes just constipated

He's been given some sensitive digestive special food to see if that helps, the lady I saw at PDSA thinks hes just constipated

Hi Peaches

Hope you have got Harry sorted out & he is now OK [?]

Best wishes