The Gouldian Finch

Breathing problems very quite little whistle and or clicking sounds

mouth open while breathing at times

tail can be bobbing maybe runny round beak or nose.

A good air sac mite solution on birds hip/thigh 1 drop but repeat every 3 week for 3 month.

Very common in finches.Any new birds introduced should also be treated.

As well as the 3 gouldian finch I have 4 bengalese 3 star finch and 2 owl finch. They are all affected except the owl finch they appear to be OK at the moment. They are in a cage around 10 ft long in my living room. The symptoms are - they are lethargic not very active - closing their eyes a lot sometimes put their head under the wing - standing on 1 leg. I have given them baytril for 5 days recommended by the vet. They are also being treated for air sac mites. Vets don't seem to be very good at diagnosing illness in birds. Visited vet several times still lost 3 gouldians 1 male 2 females. 1 of my gouldians is 2 years old but the other 2 have come through their first molt a while ago so they are young birds. They coloured up at the end of the molt. The 2 that died were young.I don't know how old my other finches are. susan567

Edited by susan567

Not a lot more you can do i used to use baytril if there on air sac mite treatment its a slow process im afraid.

You could try introducing aniseed liquid to there seed also cod liver few drops in seed just so it becomes shiny.Keep them warm away from drafts.Some ppl use the cochineal if thats how you spell it as a tonic but it will color them lol.

Just letting you know my finches are a lot better I have been giving them S76 from lady gouldian in america it is an air sac mite treatment you put it in their drinking water. I can't believe the difference in them. I am so pleased.

Post added 28-03-2014 at 21:37

Has anyone got any gouldians for sale.

Edited by susan567

Hi doubletop

I have been looking for some gouldians, do have any available, you can pm me if you can help.

Cheers

Mark.

When we had our aviary back in the mid 70's the Gouldian Finch was something we would have loved to own! Beautiful birds

Hi doubletop

I have been looking for some gouldians, do have any available, you can pm me if you can help.

Cheers

Mark.

I've Pmd you mark

Hi doubletop can you pm me I'm interested in gouldians! Would like a chat if possible

Old links but could any body point me in the direction of Gouldian Finches for sale within Yorkshire? Parent reared ideally. Please PM. Thanks

I keep and breed gouldian finches, can i ask why you want parent reared birds.

Have often found issues with some foster reared birds lacking the ability to rear their own. Do you have any currently available?

I will have some in a months time they are still moulting but not parent reared