Dog loves eating cat poo!

Is this a normal thing?

I am looking after my parents' dog for the weekend and I have to keep stopping her eating our cats poo!

The cat does it in a similar area and I pick it up with a shovel regularly but now she has already figured out where the cat does it and I have already stopped her twice today from devouring it!

She really does enjoy it which is totally disgusting and then she is coming in and trying to lick us! :gag:

No worse than humans eating KFC?

No worse than humans eating KFC?

Are you being serious? :hihi:

I'll give you a choice, a lick off a dog after pinching it's owners KFC or a lick off the dog after eating my cats doo doo! :huh:

Is this a normal thing?

I am looking after my parents' dog for the weekend and I have to keep stopping her eating our cats poo!

The cat does it in a similar area and I pick it up with a shovel regularly but now she has already figured out where the cat does it and I have already stopped her twice today from devouring it!

She really does enjoy it which is totally disgusting and then she is coming in and trying to lick us! :gag:

First thing don't shout or punish the Dog it will stress it. Removing the cat poop is the easiest method . Cat poop eating can be scavenging instinct with some dogs and others they eat it because they like the taste . You can buy stuff to mix with the cat food that puts dogs off from eating it but I don't know if it works .

I didn't punish her but shes a little deaf now with old age so had to go out and just put my hand on her so she knew I was there and coaxed her back inside.

I just wondered why she did it! Its not a permanent thing as Im dog sitting but she used to do it a while back when mum had a cat.

I'm afraid that this is normal for most dogs. Cats have a very short gut which is relatively inefficient at extracting nutrients from food passing through, so their poo does still have a lot of nutrients left and it's not really a huge leap for dogs, omnivores that they are, to take a very generalist approach to nutrition when it comes to cat poo that still smells of meat to them.

Can you work out a way for her not to be able to get at it? The fight to prevent it includes reducing access and working on compliance with behavioural stuff, but if this isn't your dog then I don't imagine that you'll have too much success with that in the short time you'll have her.

I didn't punish her but shes a little deaf now with old age so had to go out and just put my hand on her so she knew I was there and coaxed her back inside.

I just wondered why she did it! Its not a permanent thing as Im dog sitting but she used to do it a while back when mum had a cat.

Sorry I wasn't implying that you had I just ment that it's only natural to shout and drag them away when you see them wolfing down a cat turd . Lol

Are you being serious? :hihi:

I'll give you a choice, a lick off a dog after pinching it's owners KFC or a lick off the dog after eating my cats doo doo! :huh:

I'll go for the lick off your dog after eating cat poo

Have you read the ingredients in shop bought pet food?

My daschunds used to do it. It's a matter of clearing the poo quickly before they get to it x

Yes it's totally normal, my dog hunts cat poops like a pig hunting for luxurious truffles :roll:

Unfortunately I have two cats as well so have to just go out and poop scoop in the garden very regularly, and watch her like a hawk out there.

And yet when my cat threw up his breakfast the other day she wouldn't touch it (which would have saved me half a job!) go figure. I guess it wasn't digested enough.