Insurance for artwork .. query

Rather than trawl through loads of different companies, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an insurance company that can help me with insuring some of my artwork (paintings)? I've been approached by a couple of people now, who've asked if they can exhibit it, but I realise I have to insure it before I go much further with their requests. I don't even know how possible it is to do this to be honest.

It did occur to me that I could just ask the gallery owners who they'd recommend, but the more I think about it, the more I think it should be insured anyway for my own peace of mind. Ta.

Could it be covered under your household contents insurance? You would need to list, value and photograph the paintings.

You can't insure it under common household content as it leaves the house.

When we lend out work it goes through an insurance we agree upon with the venue (and they pay, common courtesy). If it is your own work and you are looking to have it hung for retail purposes than there is a conundrum, because who is responsible for what? I am not sure but I believe at that point you are looking at corporate risk insurance, so the same sort that covers companies from warehouse theft and the like. Of course if it is with galleries than it becomes their burden and you should ensure that they have the appropriate cover. This is after all what they charge a commission for.

Could it be covered under your household contents insurance? You would need to list, value and photograph the paintings.

No, not really I don't think. My one and only ever claim on household contents I ever made, after years of paying for an annual policy was for a pair of glasses which I accidentally broke (trod on). My broker (on Crookes) argued the toss that they weren't insured until I eventually got a paltry £95.00 for a £400.00 pair of glasses because I didn't have the original receipt (lost), although he got a letter from my optometrist stating the price to replace (around £400.00). Apparently, I should've read the smallprint on page 56 of the (AXA) policy (honestly!).

As such, I don't trust household insurance and brokers in particular. That's why I'm asking for advice or recommendations on here. I think the paintings need to be insured individually, but there again, that's why I'm after advice. :)

---------- Post added 01-09-2014 at 16:11 ----------

You can't insure it under common household content as it leaves the house.

When we lend out work it goes through an insurance we agree upon with the venue (and they pay, common courtesy). If it is your own work and you are looking to have it hung for retail purposes than there is a conundrum, because who is responsible for what? I am not sure but I believe at that point you are looking at corporate risk insurance, so the same sort that covers companies from warehouse theft and the like. Of course if it is with galleries than it becomes their burden and you should ensure that they have the appropriate cover. This is after all what they charge a commission for.

I don't actually want to sell any of my work. I want to build up enough of my paintings to have my own exhibition one day. I only started painting around two years ago, so only have around six finished works. I just want to display it.

What you've said above is exactly why I need advice on how to go ahead as it doesn't seem to be as simple as I'd think. I don't even know how to value it! :)

Idea: you could contact some of the Sheffield artists listed in Open Up Sheffield, or who show in the Botanical Gardens art show, and ask how they do it?

Idea: you could contact some of the Sheffield artists listed in Open Up Sheffield, or who show in the Botanical Gardens art show, and ask how they do it?

Yeah ... I had some stuff at the Great Sheffield Art Show a couple of months back, but it never occurred to me about insurance. I guess the organisers have some kind of policy, but it's only a guess. Unfortunately. I completely forgot to submit for Art in the Gardens until it was too late. It's on this weekend coming ... 6th and 7th. I'll ask ... :)