Engine size effects on petrol

I'm still on my first ever car which is a 1.2 petrol which costs me about £55 to fill which I get 300+ miles out of. I'm getting a new car ASAP but need information on the costs of fuel on bigger engines as I don't want another 1.2.

Been looking at 1.4 & 1.6 petrol astras and 1.7cdti, is there a big difference between 1.4 & 1.6 and how does the 1.7 diesel matchu up against them, want something more powerful than my little 1.2 obviously but don't want it to be guzzling fuel.

Depends on the type of driving you will be doing,the bigger engines can work out more economical than the smaller engine for motorway driving.

Way too many variables to make this a reasonable conversation with any definitive answer!

Depends on model, age, engine type etc and all variables there in.

Look at the cars official MPG and knock 20% off it and it might be close to a real figure you could hope to achieve.

I have a 2.0 Leon FR (New) does 47mpg. A 3.2 Boxster that gets 20mpg in town 32 on a motorway and a 4.5 TVR that gets 12 in town an 20 motorway.

Seat claim 68.9MPG, not in a million years! Even in economy mode I can get 51 at best. Their numbers are taken in test scenarios minus windows and any weight they are allowed to shift!

Been looking at 1.4 & 1.6 petrol astras and 1.7cdti, is there a big difference between 1.4 & 1.6 and how does the 1.7 diesel matchu up against them, want something more powerful than my little 1.2 obviously but don't want it to be guzzling fuel.

The difference in insurance might be more than the difference in petrol. I have just gone from an old Fiesta 1.25, to a newer Renault 1.4

The Renault is much bigger, but only 1 mpg more; they are both rated as family type cars, the Renault was only a little more to insure.

ive just bought an old 4.0 v8 lexus,got 50 miles out ov 20 quid,not economical but i love it :D,all depends on your passion for drivin(and your right foot :P )

Insurance isn't a problem don't leave sheffield much but I prob would if I had a nice set of wheels

This is a good site for comparing mpg and performance

http://www.whatmpg.co.uk/index.html

Diesels are generally much more efficient, and modern ones perform as well as similar sized petrol models

I have a focus 1.6 diesel tdci - £55 would easily get me £500 miles.

Here's the Astra details http://www.whatmpg.co.uk/Vauxhall%20MPG%20Information.html

Edited by CPC464

Also depends on your journeys. Short start stop trips, the engine is not warm so it uses more fuel. Diesels are even worse than petrol for this, so unless you do a reasonable commute every day you wouldn't benefit.

You also don't say the age or value of the car, new engines are much better. Lots of new petrol cars have small engines but have turbo's fitted as standard so a 1.4 gives great performance but can also return good fuel economy if you drive it nicely.

With any car, differences in insurance and depreciation can make a big difference and can exceed fuel costs over a period. Obviously with a new one you won't have any repair/test costs.

This is a good site for comparing mpg and performance

http://www.whatmpg.co.uk/index.html

Diesels are generally much more efficient, and modern ones perform as well as similar sized petrol models

I have a focus 1.6 diesel tdci - £55 would easily get me £500 miles.

Here's the Astra details http://www.whatmpg.co.uk/Vauxhall%20MPG%20Information.html

They cost more too & don't save any fuel on short trips, so you'd need to do a lot of driving to ever see any saving. Under 40mpg is pretty poor to be fair, I get that usually driving round town in a 1.5 petrol.

Newer cars are generally more efficient, similar problem with the cost.

OP: If you're really only getting around 300 miles out of a 1.2 (I assume it's a pretty small car for that size engine) then you should look at how you're driving it, that will make a much bigger difference to fuel consumption than an extra 200cc or 400cc. They tend to use more when they're being driven hard, with a more powerful engine you wont need to work it as hard (or slow down as much), so you might even use less petrol with a bigger engined car, depending on how you're driving & the car.

Edited by anywebsite

I'm still on my first ever car which is a 1.2 petrol which costs me about £55 to fill which I get 300+ miles out of. I'm getting a new car ASAP but need information on the costs of fuel on bigger engines as I don't want another 1.2.

Don't take any notice of the official figures. If you find a car thats claimed to do 65mpg you'll be lucky if you see 50.