Quick Reminder - Fines/points for careless driving

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23713732

Careless drivers across Britain who hog lanes or tailgate can now be punished with on-the-spot police fines.

Under the new measures, officers can issue £100 fines and three points rather than taking drivers to court.

the new penalties, which were first announced in June, will be able to choose between an on-the-spot fine or the chance to go on a driving course.

Among the offences police are expected to focus on are:

• Driving too close to the vehicle in front

• Failing to give way at a junction (not requiring evasive action by another driver)

• Overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic

• Being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout

• Lane discipline, such as needlessly hogging the middle or outside lanes

• Inappropriate speed

• Wheel-spins, handbrake turns and other careless manoeuvres

Many such offences currently go unpunished because of the bureaucracy involved in taking a case to court.

Being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout

Many such offences currently go unpunished because of the bureaucracy involved in taking a case to court.

Never stopped them giving me a ticket as "unpunished" for parking on a double yellow.

I'm all for safer roads, but not a fan of such open to misinterpretation rules as those above.

Being in the wrong lane on a roundabout must have happened to everybody, we all make mistakes, and the faiing to give way at a junction (without it being necessary for the other driver to take evasive action) is very woolly.

Do I smell cash cows? Will the police have quotas to fulfill?

Mind you I'm feeling biased at the moment - £100 quid fine for doing 35mph in a 30 area, on a long straight road on a Sunday afternoon (no traffic)...

Also, a friend has just had her car stolen. It was recovered abandoned about 2 miles away. The police took it for finger printing, then charged her £150 for towing!

Edited by Anna B

I'm all for safer roads, but not a fan of such open to misinterpretation rules as those above.

Being in the wrong lane on a roundabout must have happened to everybody,

Well it looks like you've just misinterpreted that one - it doesn't say just being in the wrong lane, the "and pushing into a queue" bit is a crucial part of it.

Similarly with the "Overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic". If the and wasn't important, it would mean you could get fined for just overtaking - which is silly.

Also, a friend has just had her car stolen. It was recovered abandoned about 2 miles away. The police took it for finger printing, then charged her £150 for towing!

And if they catch the thief he will likley get a caution or an £100 fine.

Just more Draconian rules aimed at fleecing more money out of motorists. Pathetic.

You are aware this has been the case for a year or so now? The BBC article is 16th Aug 2013

You are aware this has been the case for a year or so now? The BBC article is 16th Aug 2013

In that case I wonder how many fines have been dish out by the police who are generally the worst offenders.

I had to walk onto a busy road the other day because in inconsiderate driver had put their entire police car on the footpath.

In that case I wonder how many fines have been dish out by the police who are generally the worst offenders.

I had to walk onto a busy road the other day because in inconsiderate driver had put their entire police car on the footpath.

The plod are generally the worst offenders when it comes traffic law infringements , apart from Traffic wardens. it must be the Authority they hold........... its defiantly a case of "do as i say , not as i do ".

Being in the wrong lane on a roundabout must have happened to everybody, we all make mistakes, and the faiing to give way at a junction (without it being necessary for the other driver to take evasive action) is very woolly.

Do I smell cash cows? Will the police have quotas to fulfill?

Mind you I'm feeling biased at the moment - £100 quid fine for doing 35mph in a 30 area, on a long straight road on a Sunday afternoon (no traffic)...

You broke the law, take the punishment.

It wasn't too long ago a little girl got killed by a speeding driver or is memory short.

Police charged £150 for towing, that's what car insurance is for.

The worst offenders are the taxi drivers all the police have to do is follow them around, they [the police] will make enough money and leave us poor law abiding motorist alone.

footnote, most taxi drivers dont know they are bad drivers so they will be easy pickings.