Brain tumour 5 year old taken by parents

I had the same after a miscarriage some years ago when doctor had to put me on a drip after the nurses left me very dehydrated

It's getting beyond the point of absurdity now. The parents in prison for another 72 hours, the child under police guard at the hospital, teams of lawyers and police flying back and forth to Malaga, Courts in Madrid.......won't someone, please just get a grip!?

They aren't jihadi's or terrorists or murderers, so why are they being treated as if they are?

What 'duty of care' deprives a five year old child of his mummy and daddy when he's very sick and may be dying. He needs them.

It's inhuman. Anyone who can't see that that is the number one priority doesn't deserve to have a job. All they have to do is put the parents on a plane as fast as they can and get them to their little boy's bedside. It's really not that difficult is it? Unless the bureaucrats chose to make it so?

Ok, I never suggested anything that contradicted this.
Chill, JFK: I never suggested that you contradicted this in one way or another, mine was just an information post :)

What I'm talking about is the legal responsibility for the patient's health that the hospital and it's staff had, a and as such it had to take all reasonable actions to make sure that the child was safe.
and that's well understood: that "legal responsibility" is the "legal" duty of care :)

Pity the police, NHS and the authorties didn't have a duty of care over the Rotherham victims- oh sorry they did but chose to ignore it! :(
And now they'll be taken to task over it (unless the Gvt/powers-that-be "meddle"). This sort of responsibility comes with strings ropes steel cables attached: failings in discharging one's duty of care has consequences, usually fairly grave ones, potentially even criminal ones, depending on the field/the omissions.

That poor little boy must be so bewildered and scared. Surrounded by strangers, many speaking in a foreign (to him) language.

The most basic humanity demands that this little boy has his parents at his side. The child is under guard in hospital so the parents couldn't do anything 'wrong'

I have read that he isn't even allowed to have siblings visit him. This just smacks of 'we will force you to our will no matter who gets hurt'

Utterly shameful.

Now the police have raided the Grandmother's home.

Patricia King (Grandmother) says;

'A policeman in uniform marched into my front room and said, "I've got a warrant." It took three policeman an hour to search my flat. They went away with nothing. I didn't want them touching all my stuff. They behaved disgracefully, they were searching through all my clothes.'

She added with regards to her son, 'They didn't have to go to Madrid as they could have dealt with it in Malaga. They drove them to Madrid in the middle of the night.'

I wonder how many people will realise that we now live in a police state? People don't believe it until it happens to them....

As for the treatment. It is available in the Czech Republic, but not here?

At least they have now dropped the European arrest warrant :):):)

I think that as soon as it became clear that the the child was safe, and the parents are going to continue this poor child's treatment, then the state's interest in the case should end.

I think that as soon as it became clear that the the child was safe, and the parents are going to continue this poor child's treatment, then the state's interest in the case should end.

The parents have been in prison since Thursday, handcuffed and publicly humiliated. Driven 300 miles to Madrid in the dead of night. The Grandmoter's house has been searched. The child has been alone in a strange country where he doesn't understand the language or what's going on, but has had a constant police guard, and no family visitors until yesterday.

The states interest might end but I'd be pretty p***** off if I was in the parents position, and I don't think I'd just let it go.

Why have they withdrawn the arrest warrant and stopped pursuing the extradition?

I don't understand what's changed? Surely the authorities are not simply bending to public pressure? If they are, then I'm not sure they're doing their job properly; they should be doing what's right and lawful and following correct procedure. So, they were before, but not now; so what exactly has changed over the last 2 days?

Is it simply a matter that it's become transparent that the parents have the welfare of the child at heart; that he's not in serious medical danger, and that they have plans to get him alternative treatment?

Why have they withdrawn the arrest warrant and stopped pursuing the extradition?

I don't understand what's changed? Surely the authorities are not simply bending to public pressure? If they are, then I'm not sure they're doing their job properly; they should be doing what's right and lawful and following correct procedure. So, they were before, but not now; so what exactly has changed over the last 2 days?

Is it simply a matter that it's become transparent that the parents have the welfare of the child at heart; that he's not in serious medical danger, and that they have plans to get him alternative treatment?

AFAIK The European Arrest Warrant should only be used in cases where a crime has been committed and an arrest is likely, not when a crime may have been committed and the authorities are still contemplating an arrest.

In this case the warrant should neither have been requested or granted, especially on the trumped up child neglect grounds.

The police and hospital will now have questions about their initial roles in the episode.

"Hampshire's police commissioner Simon Hayes said the CPS had made the "correct decision".

However, he explained he wanted assurance "as to the quality of the information given by Southampton General Hospital to Hampshire Constabulary".

"A spokesman for University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust said it was pleased that Ashya's parents would be released, but insisted it had "no option but to call the police" because it did not know the Kings' intentions.

"The police asked us to make statements about his clinical condition and need of medical care and we stand by the accuracy of the information we gave them," he said."