Engine size effects on petrol

The answer it seems is to go for a Hybrid, with batteries and electrical gubbins built using rare metals shipped in from across the globe - it's totally green, honest :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I have a focus 1.6 tdci..my overall average since I've had it (nearly 3 years) is 54mpg..

You must have a heavy right foot, ours averages 70mpg for the last 18 months and it's more miles around town than motorway too.

You must have a heavy right foot, ours averages 70mpg for the last 18 months and it's more miles around town than motorway too.

I do around 40k miles a year on all sorts of roads carrying a bootfull of stuff (parts .tools etc) I'm very light with the right foot...are you being towed for most of your miles ? :)

I do around 40k miles a year on all sorts of roads carrying a bootfull of stuff (parts .tools etc) I'm very light with the right foot...are you being towed for most of your miles ? :)

Ahhh that may explain the difference as your hauling gear around and no we are not being towed and before you ask not free wheeling either as that reverts the engine to tickover and uses way too much fuel :hihi:

You just get funnier and funnier. I'm splitting my sides here. What about e=MCsquared

you should see his google answer on branded tyres. he is a joker

just sold my astra sxi that was a 1.8 16v got a 2.2 16v and that uses no more petrol than my 1.8 did

Can't be bothered reading it. I get the just. ... Two people running along the motorway. One with long legs one with short legs. Short leg is working two times as hard compared to the long leg Dood. Big engine on a motorway will not break a sweat. The pistons move slow and steady. Less fuel. The short leg ( small car) Pistons going up an down like a loony , More fuel. >>> if you drive to the local shops, go small, If you do motorway go big!. >> Big will use more fuel going to the shops, And small will use more fuel on motorway!.

---------- Post added 01-09-2014 at 02:05 ----------

For a good compromise get hold of a 1.7 turbo diesel.

Not so. It is simply the differential in fuel consumption that closes between larger and small engines at motorway speed. Your conclusion that shorter legs work harder because they have to move faster to achieve the same speed, and therefore smaller capacity engines will use more fuel is a non-sequitur!

---------- Post added 15-09-2014 at 17:58 ----------

Mileage depends on tank capacity? Man its all education here! :)

Cant even be bothered with the rest.

You have, unsurprisingly, missed the point. To attribute the greater range of some cars to their engines is ignorant without first discounting confounding factors such as fuel tank capacity.

---------- Post added 15-09-2014 at 18:01 ----------

... It is clear that deisel is about to get clobbered because of particulates. So they won't be cheap to run much longer. ...

Not clear at all. My diesel won't get clobbered because it emits no particulates! The technology has been around for a while.

---------- Post added 15-09-2014 at 18:08 ----------

Tosh! It depends more on driving conditions. A heavy right foot can be an advantage because all engines run at maximum efficiency when the throttle is fully open, so if someone is heavy on their right foot and gets into a high gear quicker than a light-footed 'crawler' does, they will save fuel. Also, nothing gets 70mpg if it's "mostly around town".

---------- Post added 15-09-2014 at 18:10 ----------

just sold my astra sxi that was a 1.8 16v got a 2.2 16v and that uses no more petrol than my 1.8 did
May be, but under some conditions it probably would use more fuel. You're not necessarily comparing like with like anyway. Your biger engine is newer and might be quite different in other ways.

---------- Post added 15-09-2014 at 18:13 ----------

The answer it seems is to go for a Hybrid, with batteries and electrical gubbins built using rare metals shipped in from across the globe - it's totally green, honest :hihi::hihi::hihi:
Indeed it is because all the emissions, and there are more emissions with hybrid cards, are produced at the power stations, thereby killing the local residents whilst keeping our city centres clean and fresh! From a global perspective, hybrids are bad news unless the power comes from nukes, and not much of it does in the UK.

Diesels produce more polution.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/diesel-drivers-charged-10-banned-3929077

Diesel drivers to be charged £10 or be banned from city centres to cut pollution

It all depends on the age of the engine. The new Ford Focus diesel pays zero VED so it can't be that much of a polluter.

I'm still on my first ever car which is a 1.2 petrol which costs me about £55 to fill which I get 300+ miles out of. I'm getting a new car ASAP but need information on the costs of fuel on bigger engines as I don't want another 1.2.

Been looking at 1.4 & 1.6 petrol astras and 1.7cdti, is there a big difference between 1.4 & 1.6 and how does the 1.7 diesel matchu up against them, want something more powerful than my little 1.2 obviously but don't want it to be guzzling fuel.

1.2 Great Going to local shops rubbish for motorway. Listen you have two cars. 1.2 and a 2.8 ... we go to the shops 1.2 is better. We go on motorway 2.8 is better. Simple ........ Best for shops and motorway 1.7 Diesel turbo!

---------- Post added 24-09-2014 at 05:52 ----------

Honda 1.7 diesel turbo can get me £45 of diesel for 6 and a half hour from England to Scotland doing 80 mph. Still have fuel left to mess about.

---------- Post added 24-09-2014 at 06:11 ----------

When you have a small car the pistons go up and down like a mad man. even more on the motorway. A larger engine the pistons pump up and down more slowly but give greater speed.

Taking the Larger engine to the shops will use more fuel. Taking the small car is best. Going on a longer trip , Motorway the samall car will use more fuel, Best with the larger car. ... Compromise for shops and long distance .... 1.7 diesel turbo.

Edited by NightHawk33

[/color]Honda 1.7 diesel turbo can get me £45 of diesel for 6 and a half hour from England to Scotland doing 80 mph. Still have fuel left to mess about.

That's going to be 75mpg then. There is no way you will get that economy at 80mph - at 50mph maybe so but not if you are maintaining 80 all the way. But I'm sure you know this Amberleaf so why spout such rubbish?

Edited by Obelix

Also, nothing gets 70mpg if it's "mostly around town".

Have to dis-agree with you there..my Prius Hybrid will quite happily get 70 mpg,the best so far i have ever achieved is 78.5 mpg.It doesn't really make that much difference with the Hybrid whether on a "long run" or using locally... "mostly around town"... as i do.When in the city centre/busy traffic the engine shuts down and it runs totally on electric power,the engine will only start up to recharge the batteries,braking also regenerates them.All this from a fuel injected 1.8 petrol...plus an electric motor on each wheel..and whisper quiet too,all the diesels i owned sounded like a farm tractor..but..i did like them.

Re: Engine size effects on petrol

The answer it seems is to go for a Hybrid, with batteries and electrical gubbins built using rare metals shipped in from across the globe - it's totally green, honest

What a complete load of rubbish you talk..you must be a cyclist:hihi::hihi:

Have to dis-agree with you there..my Prius Hybrid will quite happily get 70 mpg,the best so far i have ever achieved is 78.5 mpg.It doesn't really make that much difference with the Hybrid whether on a "long run" or using locally... "mostly around town"... as i do.When in the city centre/busy traffic the engine shuts down and it runs totally on electric power,the engine will only start up to recharge the batteries,braking also regenerates them.All this from a fuel injected 1.8 petrol...plus an electric motor on each wheel..and whisper quiet too,all the diesels i owned sounded like a farm tractor..but..i did like them.

What a complete load of rubbish you talk..you must be a cyclist:hihi::hihi:

Silliest answer yet! You claim 70mpg and yet acknowledge that most of the journey is courtesy of batteries that are doubtless charged when you plug it in at home! Aaaargh! You are not comparing like for like. That energy from the batteries comes mostly from fossil fuel burning power stations which, due to distribution losses, results in even more pollution overall than burning the fuel directly in a normal car's engine! You fell for the Toyota blurb, hook, line and sinker! :hihi: