Ebola - God cured me!

I went to a CoE church till I was about 10. Then I decided that god couldn't possibly exist. The whole notion didn't make sense. Most people in the UK aren't religious despite what we're told at school. We're a secular society because people can make their own minds up. Religion is for the middle and upper classes here among protestants. Catholics and Muslims per capita are stronger believers but Catholicism and Islam aren't embedded in the establishment like Protestantism is and so religion plays a declining role here due to a lack of faith.

I grew up going to church , of which ever denomination my family felt was preaching the truth , I made my own choice to be a christian , I believe in God , yes i know thats funny in this day and age but never the less I believe in God , I serve a living God , I see change as a result of prayer and talking to God. I personally think you will find christian s thriving in non denominational churches like Millennium church , El-shaddai , Victory fellowship, Unit 1 at batemoor /Jordanthorpe , I do think state church is off putting but having said that St Chads in Woodseats is thriving , If you really want to learn who God is why not go to an alpha group in your area ?

If you really want to learn who God is why not go to an alpha group in your area ?

Because the people who run the alpha course don't know anything about god.

Because the people who run the alpha course don't know anything about god.

I think that's not quiet true , as they know God and are qualified to explain what they know and how if they don't know God can they speak of what they don't know ??

I think that's not quiet true , as they know God and are qualified to explain what they know and how if they don't know God can they speak of what they don't know ??

What qualifications do they have?

---------- Post added 30-08-2014 at 23:23 ----------

I went to a CoE church till I was about 10. Then I decided that god couldn't possibly exist. The whole notion didn't make sense. Most people in the UK aren't religious despite what we're told at school. We're a secular society because people can make their own minds up. Religion is for the middle and upper classes here among protestants. Catholics and Muslims per capita are stronger believers but Catholicism and Islam aren't embedded in the establishment like Protestantism is and so religion plays a declining role here due to a lack of faith.

I didn't say anything about school, I think you'll find that the earliest part of indoctrination comes from parents

It is completely and absolutely true. The people who run the alpha course, just like all religious people, just like all people, do not know a single thing about god. They are no more qualified to talk about god than you or I. In fact there are no qualifications that make people better able to talk about god, theology is the study of books written by men.

They think they know, and that makes them dangerous.

Edited by flamingjimmy

It is completely and absolutely true. The people who run the alpha course, just like all religious people, just like all people, do not know a single thing about god. They are no more qualified to talk about god than you or I. In fact there are no qualifications that make people better able to talk about god, theology is the study of books written by men.

They think they know, and that makes them dangerous.

and that makes you think they don't know God !!! You can read every book in from the bible and in theology but if you don't know the author then how can you know God ? You call us religious people we are not religious at all we are living our faith and not doing something religiously! anything can be called religion but true faith is a two way relationship between us and God.

and that makes you think they don't know God !!! You can read every book in from the bible and in theology but if you don't know the author then how can you know God ? You call us religious people we are not religious at all we are living our faith and not doing something religiously! anything can be called religion but true faith is a two way relationship between us and God.

If you genuinely think you have a two way relationship with a deity then you are without a doubt religious by any sensible definition of the word.

And no, you do not have a relationship with god, neither do the people who run the alpha course. They have nothing to teach anyone about god.

I grew up going to church , of which ever denomination my family felt was preaching the truth , I made my own choice to be a Christian.....

So your family sent you to church and you believed it. I went to church with a mate who used to go and decided it was all crap.

---------- Post added 31-08-2014 at 17:27 ----------

....I think you'll find that the earliest part of indoctrination comes from parents

Almost certainly but religious schools reinforce religion. As the Jesuits say, give is the boy and we'll give you the man. In my case church gave the world an atheist.

So your family sent you to church and you believed it. I went to church with a mate who used to go and decided it was all crap.

Yes my family went to church , they gave me the choice , i didn't have to go and i was never forced, I chose on my own to be a member of a church !

---------- Post added 31-08-2014 at 18:09 ----------

If you genuinely think you have a two way relationship with a deity then you are without a doubt religious by any sensible definition of the word.

And no, you do not have a relationship with god, neither do the people who run the alpha course. They have nothing to teach anyone about god.

I do have a two way relationship with God !!! I have done since been a small child .

People who really know God are amazing teachers , as they experience God.

People such Mark Pease from Bradford amazing man preaches the word of God in a real way not some fake way that gives you the feeling that is there or isnt there ?

Edited by esme
quote tags

The other month back I was on here saying that travel to and from Sierra Leon and all the nearby countries should be strictly curtailed, even stopped due to this Ebola outbreak that was only going to get worse. I can't remember who it was but there were some on here saying I was exaggerating and played down the seriousness of this outbreak.

For some reason those posts aren't there now but those people playing it down back then should eat their words now.

Stuff like this really annoys me, it's pretty darn offensive to the hard-working medical community who did ACTUALLY helped him.

I think seriously though it does highlight the fact that scientific and medical education is sorely needed in Africa (currently education is lacking in many areas and religion is often put before science).

I read on the BBC a few days ago that one woman who claimed to be a "spiritual healer" single-handedly spread Ebola out of Ginea, infecting all the people she claimed to "heal" before dying of the disease herself.

If only they knew about science and disease transmission, that could have been avoided :(

And don't get me started on the mob in Liberia who stole looted blood-covered mattresses from an Ebola ward...

--

Max

Religion is always put before science in dictionaries. ;)