Anyone stayed any where nice in Brittany?

Looking for somewhere to stay / recommendations of places / things to do in Brittany.

Cheers

:)

Visit the stones at Carnac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnac

You must try the seafood - especially oysters, washed down with a bottle of muscadet sur lie. Best on the north coast at places like Cancale, Erquy & St Cast.

We've only ever camped there - some good sites although the weather can be a bit iffy compared to most of the rest of France.

Guest sibon

It is all lovely. I've got two very favourite bits though. The area around Sarzeau, near Vannes is my number one area. It has an inland sea and some lovely beaches. The other peninsula to the North of Vannes is always packed, the southern bit is much more peaceful.

Failing that, try the area around Pont Aven and Concarneau. It is really beautiful.

I've been 3 times. I camped in Dinard/St Malo for 3 weeks when I was a kid and years later stayed in Quimper and St Malo on different visits. St Malo is lovely. When I lived in France Brittany was the most popular destination for French people holidaying in France but because of its geography it is the wettest and windiest part of France too and I think I once read it has the highest suicide rate in France. The ferries I got were Portsmouth to St Malo and Plymouth to Roscoff. I have friends who drive and they say there are some lovely little places to visit. It has its own language, flag and culture. I don't think you can go far wrong with a visit there.

Agree with Vannes and St Malo, both very nice places. If you're staying up near St Malo you could always stray across into Normandy and visit Mont Saint-Michel. The stones at Carnac (there are a number of different groups) are worth a look, as mentioned above. If you're going in the summer time try and get along to a local Fest Noz, which can be great fun.

I've also only ever camped in Brittany.

Thanks for the replies, 4 people are probably going and are looking at renting a place for a week rather than camping. Camping is great for festivals but not my preferred choice when on holiday. I shall check out the above places and keen to hear about any others.

Seeing as you're renting, Gites de France usually has the best selection.

http://en.gites-de-france.com/

Another place worth going to - especially if going to Mont St Michel - is Mont Dol near Dol de Bretagne. This is a hill overlooking the bay towards Mont St Michel - interesting views, also a decent cafe / bar on the top and the French usually gather there for a game of boules. There's a road all the way to the top and plenty parking. Worth an hour or two.

Edited by Longcol

Looking for somewhere to stay / recommendations of places / things to do in Brittany.

Cheers

Dinan is definitely worth a visit too. Lovely place, lovely food.

I was going to say Dinan too - easy drive to the other places mentioned (Dinard, Mont St Michel, St Malo - don't think Cancale is too far either).

I'm considering Brittany this year. Is the ferry an advantage?

Been to Normandy and Picardy via Channel Tunnel, but Brittany is an even further drive if I choose this.

Guest sibon
I'm considering Brittany this year. Is the ferry an advantage?

Been to Normandy and Picardy via Channel Tunnel, but Brittany is an even further drive if I choose this.

Brittany is a good five or six hours by motorway from Calais. If you include the cost of fuel and tolls, the long crossings don't cost much more than the short one. Plymouth-Roskoff is usually reasonably priced. Or sail overnight to St Malo and wake up to a very short drive.

I used LD Lines last year, I won't be doing that again in a hurry:)

Hmm, just looked up the cost of ferry crossings from Plymouth to Roscoff. For 2 people in a car Friday - Friday in July (Yes, peak season and all that) it's 338quid! That's mental! So much for holiday in Brittany! Is there a cheaper way?