395 of our soldiers now been killed in Afghan

400 certainly by the end of February maybe 500 by Jan 2013. 100 youngsters alive today who won't be around this time next year. This is surely unacceptable and our troops must be withdrawn and the region left to resolve its own problems. The Afghan government are now in talks with the Taliban in an effort to save their own corrupt skins and the war is unwinnable. Bring our forces back and spend the money on making the UK a better and safer country because we ain't gonna win this filthy war ! A complete waste of young working class lives and money !

Yes it would have so been worth it if they were Eton toffs being killed :rolleyes:

It's a sad business but these people signed up knowing the risks and have made a sacrifice to make other peoples lives better.

And the situation in Afghanistan is much better than when they went in.

War is never good but is it better to turn a blind eye to evil regimes in other countries?

Yes it would have so been worth it if they were Eton toffs being killed :rolleyes:

A bit unnecessary mj.

It's a sad business but these people signed up knowing the risks and have made a sacrifice to make other peoples lives better.

And the situation in Afghanistan is much better than when they went in.

War is never good but is it better to turn a blind eye to evil regimes in other countries?

You are joking, right ?

1st July 1916, 19,240 killed or died of their wounds during the first day of the Battle of the Somme, and the German shells didn't discriminate between officers and men. I suppose we have come a long way in 96 years, albeit not quite far enough.

I'd wager most officers killed, and admittedly that won't be a huge number, were Eton (certainly public schooled) toffs. See, you have had your pound of flesh. That must make you feel better.

You are joking, right ?

Afghans are living longer, fewer infants are dying and more women are surviving childbirth because healthcare has dramatically improved around the country in the past decade.

Today, after years of foreign involvement in Afghanistan, unemployment is still 40 per cent and more than half the population lives below the poverty line. The current poor economic circumstances, while better than those under the Taliban,

And there are now 27 registered female drivers in Herat, it sounds better for them.

Not another moaning muslim thread, trying to influence public opinion etc. You would have thought they have realised by now that we're not bothered what they say.

I was at a WW1 and WW2 war memorial at the weekend and found a new section for soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

As I looked at the blank marble beside it I couldn't help wonder which future wars will be listed.

I'd wager most officers killed, and admittedly that won't be a huge number, were Eton (certainly public schooled) toffs. See, you have had your pound of flesh. That must make you feel better.

31 actually, up to 2nd January, and I wager that none or next to none went to Eton.

31 actually, up to 2nd January, and I wager that none or next to none went to Eton.

Or no other public school ? You met many officers ?