Will a "Robin Hood" tax ruin everything?

I think it will.

Are my generation, those that can afford to buy what they want (through hard work), the exotic cars, the designer suits, the big house in the best part of Yorkshire and further afield, to become a thing of the past?

Will this proposed 'rob from the rich to feed the poor' tax quash the very inspiration that produced so many success stories in the 80's? I think so.

Will the children of the 80's be the last generation to be consigned to history as 'the successful generation'? Will todays generation, and those that will follow, never experience the prosperity that those of us from the 80's enjoyed to the hilt? I hope not. :(

What do you think my friends?

What tax is this?

Perhaps taxman can elaborate..... if he is a real person.;)

Perhaps taxman can elaborate..... if he is a real person.;)

I haven't heard Osborne mention it.

Some say Robin Hood wasn't real either.

I haven't heard Osborne mention it.

Some say Robin Hood wasn't real either.

:hihi::hihi: Same goes for you, get your witticisms out of your system and come back when you have a reasonable opinion. I won't hold my breath.:)

the ones that annoy me the most are the "jumped up nothings" who are are ashamed of their working class roots,and like to look down on other people.

i have nothing against people who have wealth....its pretentious snobbery i don't like.

i know i hav'nt really answered the OP question.i just thought i would make a comment.;)

It's good to get all the silliness out of the way first.;)

Now. Do you have any opinions about the proposed Robin Hood tax (preferably your own)?

Which proposed "robin hood tax"?

As our PM eloquently stated in the commons at PM's Q's only four weeks ago the number of things supposed to be funded by this tax is now about 40 times the level of what the concept could raise.

Tis a silly thing, and will not happen.

That out of the way, are you saying you really are an arrogant boorish tosser who shows off about his wealth?

the ones that annoy me the most are the "jumped up nothings" who are are ashamed of their working class roots,and like to look down on other people.

i have nothing against people who have wealth....its pretentious snobbery i don't like.

i know i hav'nt really answered the OP question.i just thought i would make a comment.;)

I agree with your comment Janie, thank you. You seem to have a level head on your shoulders. How would you like to be the first person to answer the OP? :)

Which proposed "robin hood tax"?

As our PM eloquently stated in the commons at PM's Q's only four weeks ago the number of things supposed to be funded by this tax is now about 40 times the level of what the concept could raise.

Tis a silly thing, and will not happen.

That out of the way, are you saying you really are an arrogant boorish tosser who shows off about his wealth?

Nope, I have never said that, they are your words. I would never call anyone such names as they are offensive and as such against forum rules. If anyone called me such things I would report them to the Mods.

You aren't calling me an arrogant boorish tosser are you andygardener?, not good for business is it?

:hihi::hihi: Same goes for you, get your witticisms out of your system and come back when you have a reasonable opinion. I won't hold my breath.:)

I wasn't trying to be funny.

Show me some evidence of the chancellor's 'Robin Hood' tax plan.

And it is true that some say Robin Hood wasn't real.

Maybe the tax plan isn't real either.

Maybe this thread is just a pointless trolling vehicle for you.

I agree with your comment Janie, thank you. You seem to have a level head on your shoulders. How would you like to be the first person to answer the OP? :)

well thanks but i have no wish to get into any further discussion.

i am becoming quite cautious about how much i say.

i have had enough insulting replies today.

i am rather sensitive about such matters you see.:(

The only people who this will really affect are the ones who invest in the stock market for the short term - especially those financial companies who indulge in high frequency trading (buying and selling shares within a fraction of a second).

For people who buy shares and keep them for a long time as a way of saving for their retirement (capital gain focused shares) or for providing an income from them (dividend focuses shares), it won't make much difference.

For pension funds it similarly shouldn't make a difference as they should be focused on the long term.

Most companies would also like a less short term stock market as that would mean they could concentrate on growing their businesses rather than pandering to the whims of people who a more interested in the share price bouncing up and down rather than how well the company is actually doing.

Stock brokers make commission when then buy shares and again when they sell them. Volatility in the stock market gives them an excuse to do so frequently and so make more money from their clients. Reducing the volatility in the stock market, which a Robin Hood tax would, will hurt these companies.

The only down side is that so much of the tax that is paid to the government comes from investment banking companies that reducing their profits makes a significant dent in the amount of money the government will have to spend.