Public sector pay

Philip Hammond, Conservative MP and Chancellor of the Exchequer has just said on 'The Andrew Marr' program that public sector pay is 10% too high.

How can it be that 25+% of the workforce are paid too much, when we have had 7 years of Government pay restraint?

Are you guys all rushing out to work in the public sector?

The Conservatives dont seem to be able to shed their ideological dogma that public sector is bad, and private good.

"After accounting for the different organisation sizes between the public and private sector, it is estimated that on average the pay of the public sector was between 3.3% and 4.3% lower than the private sector in April 2014." Office for National Statistics Nov 2014

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160107090910/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_383355.pdf

Since 2014 private sector pay has increased more than the public sector. The 2% median in the private sector was ahead of the 1% in the public sector in 2016.

http://www.aol.co.uk/money/2017/02/22/private-sector-pay-rises-remain-at-2-compared-to-1-in-public/

Edited by El Cid

Philip Hammond, Conservative MP and Chancellor of the Exchequer has just said on 'The Andrew Marr' program that public sector par is 10% too high.

How can it be that 25+% of the workforce are paid too much, when we have had 7 years of Government pay restraint?

That does not necessarily follow: it could be that the top 1% are paid 50% too much...

The Conservatives dont seem to be able to shed their ideological dogma that public sector is bad, and private good.

That is not ideology, it logically follows from the premise that Conservative governments are thoroughly incompetent.

If you reject the premise then make your case, it should prove interesting.

The Tories do have ideological issues with the public sector, but they are also out of touch as well as being incompetent.

They seem to have forgotten what nurses, firefighters, police, doctors etc.. do

Normal people -us - could hardly forget. These workers are often our partners, friends and relatives. A lot of us are aware every day what these workers do. In fact many of us are doubly aware by the fact that many of the workers we know are often on shift patterns or on call and not actually around half the time. My partner for example is on call this weekend and just been called back to the hospital this morning.

It's funny I totally didn't hear him say that. Perhaps I wasn't concentrating but I thought he said that he wouldn't discuss what was said in a private cabinet meeting.

Guest sibon

It is perfectly possible that you are witnessing a bit of positioning before the inevitable leadership battle this autumn. Unattributed briefings about things that might or might not have been said in a meeting, designed to damage his reputation. Hammond, after all, is a front runner to replace May.

Well worth taking with a pinch of salt.

It is perfectly possible that you are witnessing a bit of positioning before the inevitable leadership battle this autumn. Unattributed briefings about things that might or might not have been said in a meeting, designed to damage his reputation. Hammond, after all, is a front runner to replace May.

Well worth taking with a pinch of salt.

It's just a switch to a different form of populism, aping some of the things Corbyn has been saying.

Guest sibon

I meant that it is easy to make something up to try to damage Hammond. Then give it to a friendly journalist.

Nothing to do with Corbyn. Everything to do with the Tory machine.

Perhaps Hammond was thinking of the 9000+ NHS staff that earn £150000 or more per annum.

Perhaps Hammond was thinking of the 9000+ NHS staff that earn £150000 or more per annum.

Typically right wing nutjobbery.

Because some staff are overpaid (like < 1% of staff) then all staff are overpaid.

Guest sibon

If you vote for Corbyn, they will get taxed until their pips squeak.

That should calm your frothing down

If you vote for Corbyn, they will get taxed until their pips squeak.

That should calm your frothing down

Along with everyone else too, Corbyn wouldn't just stop at high end earners. His spending pledges would need some serious taxation across the whole board.

It's funny I totally didn't hear him say that. Perhaps I wasn't concentrating but I thought he said that he wouldn't discuss what was said in a private cabinet meeting.

but given what he may or may not have said is out in the public domain you would have thought he would have taken the opportunity to put the record straight and correct any misinterpretations about what he said or didn't say.