How do you motivate a person who is constantly in search of a job

How can we guide a person who is constantly searching for a job but unable to find the right job. What king of guidance do we need to give them so that they don't get depressed and get motivated.

Make the benefits of getting a job, outweight what they get now.

If they dont get a job, give them one.

Depends, is the 'right job' a realistic proposition?

Searching for the right job!

Are they qualified in anyway or being picky. Sometimes it's a case of taking anything and then looking to improve.

Our lad has just secured work in a kitchen to help while he's at University. At first he shunned everything along those lines, bar work, shop work, just couldn't see himself doing it. In the end money was the motivation so anything would do.

You haven't said how old this person is so if I assume they are in their teens then the motivation is to have money and I suppose a self respect at earning it.

They say it's easier to find work when you have it so if there is something in particular they are after they can continue searching.

It's easy to give up looking after a few knock backs but it's important to stay focused on the bigger picture.

Finding a way to motivate someone is an art, we're all different. Hopefully you can draw on your own experiences.

Happy hunting

Make the benefits of getting a job, outweight what they get now.

If they dont get a job, give them one.

Thank you for your reply Will see how far I can help him.

---------- Post added 20-07-2017 at 07:12 ----------

Searching for the right job!

Are they qualified in anyway or being picky. Sometimes it's a case of taking anything and then looking to improve.

Our lad has just secured work in a kitchen to help while he's at University. At first he shunned everything along those lines, bar work, shop work, just couldn't see himself doing it. In the end money was the motivation so anything would do.

You haven't said how old this person is so if I assume they are in their teens then the motivation is to have money and I suppose a self respect at earning it.

They say it's easier to find work when you have it so if there is something in particular they are after they can continue searching.

It's easy to give up looking after a few knock backs but it's important to stay focused on the bigger picture.

Finding a way to motivate someone is an art, we're all different. Hopefully you can draw on your own experiences.

Happy hunting

Thank you for replying. He just completed his graduation and he is around 20 years.

Thank you for replying. He just completed his graduation and he is around 20 years.

My grandsons are in the same position. I'm afraid he may have to accept voluntary work first because it will look better on his CV.

There is work out there, but graduates can have a hard time getting a job at their level straight away. Depending on the field it might be worth for them taking a lower level job in the same field.

After 4 years early retirement I thought at 62 I needed a part time job,took me 2 weeks to get one,it's not going to pay for round the world cruises but there is jobs out there until you find what you want.

There is work out there, but graduates can have a hard time getting a job at their level straight away. Depending on the field it might be worth for them taking a lower level job in the same field.

Correct. Also with jobs it's not always what you know but who you know.

It wouldn't be unusual for a recent graduate to still be job hunting, so perhaps there is nothing to do, just wait for them to find a job. It sounds like they are already motivated though, and is there a real risk of depression, or just an assumption?

I'd encourage them to get out there by doing any job they were offered. It shows future employers they're willing to work, and gets them used to the boring routine bits like good time keeping.

It's also a good way of making contact with other people and getting on the grapevine. It's surprising how many jobs are via word of mouth.

If it's a specific job he/she's after then I think you need a long term plan to get it.

Would they be able to work as a volunteer in the organisation? Work their way up? Submit work to them? Are they willing to travel or move areas to get more of a chance? Could they do it on a self employed basis? Set up their own business? etc.

All depends on what work field they are wanting to enter.

When I graduated my first job was at Deacon house at the bottom of the moor. Working for HSBC* in the lofty role of a data inputter for £4/hr. It was perhaps the most mind numbing, soul destorying job the world has every known. We commonly referred to it as a graduates graveyard as it was where many ended up (some forever). It served as excellent motivation to get out and find something better.

So, my advice? Tell him to take any job he can, if he can get one in his field at a lowly level then mores the better. Being in work, even in a POS job, will teach him a thing or two. If he wants motivation he just needs to look at the guy working next to him who has been doing the same POS job for the last twenty years and is looking at doing it for the next twenty.

* well, actually I worked for an agency