Stocksbridge Railway Line

They do, which is why they've electrified the route

Correct. They are dual mode and can work on the Supertram 1500v or the Network rail 25,000 v AC systems.

However they are extremely expensive to purchase as they are prototypes. As I said already there are lots of rail operators nowadays that lease older diesel trains and coaches for use on the main national network. This wouldn't be a fast service, just a slow one that can follow the slow single line that is there today.

The Line to Stocksbridge is owned and maintained by Network Rail, but only to slow freight standards as far as I'm aware so it's probably going to be a bit bumpy, but safe.

Correct. They are dual mode and can work on the Supertram 1500v or the Network rail 25,000 v AC systems.

However they are extremely expensive to purchase as they are prototypes. As I said already there are lots of rail operators nowadays that lease older diesel trains and coaches for use on the main national network. This wouldn't be a fast service, just a slow one that can follow the slow single line that is there today.

The Line to Stocksbridge is owned and maintained by Network Rail, but only to slow freight standards as far as I'm aware so it's probably going to be a bit bumpy, but safe.

Network Rail charge for the use of their track but only as far as Deepcar.

Running into Stockbridge would probably double the £4 million pound engineering costs estimated by Arup.

Pay for at least two drivers and two guards.

New stations .

and maintenance.

Renting rolling stock.

Benefits:

A maximum of two trains an hour from Deepcar to Victoria would be possible or one to Midland(not during peak morning times).

Questions:

Who would use a slower, more expensive journey that will drop people off in the Wicker?

How will people get to Deepcar?

Who will be enticed off the more frequent bus/tram which has many more useful destination and free to many?

The Victoria line was previously electrified so it shouldn't need as much work to re electrify.

Why did we have to have dual voltage for the tram train on railway line when no electric trains use it? As platform heights aren't an issue couldn't ordinary trams with a wheel change have done?

The Victoria line was previously electrified so it shouldn't need as much work to re electrify.

Why did we have to have dual voltage for the tram train on railway line when no electric trains use it? As platform heights aren't an issue couldn't ordinary trams with a wheel change have done?

1) the old GCR line that ran through Victoria was an obscure 1500 DC system and all the wire and poles and hardware was torn down and scrapped decades ago so there is literally nothing left.

If it was still there it would not be suitable to run modern AC power on it. You would have to start from scratch and as we have seen the current government refuses to wire up our existing Midland Railway Line as far as Sheffield then the chances of this one being done is zero.

2) The Tram-Train Dual Power is a prototype paid for by the UK government. The mission is to investigate vehicles that can run on Street Running Tramways as well as Electric National Rail lines. The only reason we won the bit to have it between Sheffield and Rotherham was because it was the most suitable site with a "need" and less expensive than the alternatives.

If and when it proves successful and reliable in use, then the system will be regarded as "successfully Designed" and other parts of the UK may introduce them, especially when they have a big Transport Budget like Manchester and London. But the work and design effort is being done here and that is why it is taking some time.

They do, which is why they've electrified the route

I was led to believe that they would be electro-diesels like they have on the continent.I presume this idea was swapped,i bet this has made the project very expensive.Seeing as the midland mainline is not going to now be electrified what use will these trams be.Sounds like another usual own goal for south Yorkshire.

I was led to believe that they would be electro-diesels like they have on the continent.I presume this idea was swapped,i bet this has made the project very expensive.Seeing as the midland mainline is not going to now be electrified what use will these trams be.Sounds like another usual own goal for south Yorkshire.

No they were always going to be fully Electric. I don't know this for a fact, but the extra weight of a diesel on the Supertram lines would probably require much more power supply current and the vehicles would be slower to accelerate and brake, making the system much less efficient.

In addition it would probably wear out the rails much faster.

As has been said many times TramTrain is a Government funded experiment. It may not exist after the trial period- but at least we get to keep the trams.

One requirement was to produce a vehicle that could operate at two separate voltages.

Platform height is very much a safety issue as ordinary trains pass tram platforms.

A SuperTram cannot run on any Network Rail track. Safety, collision survivability, AWS, signalling etc.

Arup reported a start up cost of £4 million + years ago to run a hired diesel from Deepcar to Victoria.

Now if the track between Victoria and Deepcar ceased to be a freight line, Network Rail would be happy to sell and you could run anything. Most private lines have 30mph speed restrictions.

The original TramTrain plan to go to Huddersfield was a diesel tram, but no manufacturer was forthcoming.

Edited by Annie Bynnol