Wiring a 2 gang 2 way light switch for 1 way use

I ordered a 2 gang 1 way light switch, recieved a 2 gang 2 way switch (they don't do one way anymore) Not a problem? live to com nuteral to L1, earth to earth X two - job done - lol.

not quite, I only have one netural wire (L1), two live (Com) and an earth. so I need to put a bridge in, but where - how? any help please.

If you could draw a diagram showing what the switches look like in standard format, ie so I can picture what connections are made or broken when either switch lever is thrown, I might be able to help you.

If you could draw a diagram showing what the switches look like in standard format, ie so I can picture what connections are made or broken when either switch lever is thrown, I might be able to help you.

Two gang, so 2 switches - both are Y shaped one inverted by the side of other - Y and an upside down y - the two forks are L1 AND L2 while the base of the stems are both Com. does that help?

---------- Post added 16-07-2017 at 21:32 ----------

you can't add pic's here can you?

Edited by Itrytoplease

An ordinary lightswitch will not have a neutral connection.

A single switch has a live feed (from the fusebox), a switchwire (to the light fitting) and an earth. The live feed goes to COMM, the switchwire to L1 and earth to earth. So, on a two gang, live feed to both COMs (that's your 'bridge'), and the switchwires go to L1 on each switch.

WARNING - If you really don't know what you are doing, get some one who does.

Edited by Broakham

An ordinary lightswitch will not have a neutral connection.

A single switch has a live feed (from the fusebox), a switchwire (to the light fitting) and an earth. The live feed goes to COMM, the switchwire to L1 and earth to earth. So, on a two gang, live feed to both COMs (that's your 'bridge'), and the switchwires go to L1 on each switch.

WARNING - If you really don't know what you are doing, get some one who does.

I have two live (red wires) one live from the box, the other is a follow on. so thats Com and LI -E to E -bridge Com to Com. where is the nuteral ? is that the Switchwire to the other - L1 connection ?.

Does that make sence.

---------- Post added 16-07-2017 at 22:13 ----------

Shan't be doing it tonight, can't see, the lights are OFF. - LOL

I have two live (red wires) one live from the box, the other is a follow on. so thats Com and LI -E to E -bridge Com to Com. where is the nuteral ? is that the Switchwire to the other - L1 connection ?.

As explained by Broakham you do not have a neutral at the switch as that is at the light fitting as all you are doing is switching the live. If it is a 2 gang switch for 2 lights then you should have 1 permanent live and 2 switch wires. The live wire goes in one COM with a small bridge wire linking it to the other COM. The switch-wires then normally go in L1 on each switch.

Itrytoplease,

Apelike is spot on. The link I've included shows the terminal arrangements for a 2 ganged 2-way lighting switch. It appears you are using a 2 ganged 2-way lighting switch in place of a 2 ganged one way lighting switch. The switching arrangement for a 2 ganged 2-way lighting switch is the following. The common switches between L1 and L2. The switch feed goes to common and the switch wire to L1.

If you have a multimeter you can test the switching arrangement for your own satisfaction. Switch the multimeter to the ohms range and test between common and L1 and then common to L2. It will become immediately apparent how the logic of the switching arrangement works.

Apelike is right. There will not be neutral at the switch. The neutral is in the ceiling rose.

In domestic lighting circuits, the neutral is not switched.

Make sure you have the circuit isolated before you work on any part of it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2+gang+two+way+switch&rlz=1CAACAJ_enGB652GB652&tbm=isch&imgil=M19Gcd8C3V92cM%253A%253B75jygBJjFW0bFM%253

Edited by petemcewan

Thanks everyone, problem sorted, what makes me laugh is I changed this and all the other light switches some 15 - 20 years ago and never had a problem, must be getting old.