Is there a legal requirement when Transporting a dog in a car?

I was just wondering is there a legal requirement when transporting a dog in a car. Do you have to keep them in a crate or must they be on the back seat / boot?

If not, if I was driving a 2 seater sports car and my dog was in the passanger seat would this be a criminal offence?

Thanks for your advice.

I think the only legal requirment is that your dog remains under control when travelling in a car. If your dog happily sleeps on the back seat and not moving around then that is fine. If you were pulled over and your dog was sat on your knee, then I think you would be in trouble with the bobbys.:D

Was the dog strapped in with a car harness type seatbelt? if not then according to the above i imagine it is. I must also say cos i cannot help myself am sorry but to me it would be dangerous to not have your dog secured if they were sitting in a front seat of a 2 seater car. We have ours strapped in on the back seat just in case.

It's common sense to ensure your dog is restrained in some way, in case of an accident. If you are travelling at speed and your dog is loose on the back seat, when you stop suddenly you could end up with several stone of dog flying at you at top speed -nasty, for you and your pet. If it is in the front seat, it could easily end up through the windscreen and out on the road. Not only that, as others have said, in an emergency situation, last thing you need is a dog that is running loose, could attack you or others out of fear or is severely injured.

It may look cool to let your pet hang it's head out of the wound-down window from the comfort of the passenger seat, but I dont think squashed dead dog is that cool, really. My dobermutt hated her dog crate and our latest car is too small for one anyway, but she has a dog harness/seat belt and is always buckled up when we go on any journey- long or short.

The police can stop you if you are not driving with due care and attention - and a loose dog can be a major distraction.

I was just wondering is there a legal requirement when transporting a dog in a car. Do you have to keep them in a crate or must they be on the back seat / boot?

If not, if I was driving a 2 seater sports car and my dog was in the passanger seat would this be a criminal offence?

Thanks for your advice.

Maybe not a criminal offence, but the dog would be far safer in a harness as other posters have pointed out.

Whatever the law says, I think it makes sense for a dog to wear a car harness and to be trained to be comfortable settled with their seat belt on (or in a crate) when travelling, both for their safety and the safety of the humans in the car.

I wouldn't fancy being hit by a 30kg projectile in the event of a crash and I don't think it would do her much good either.