Asda Handsworth Complaint - Alcohol Sales - new over 25 rule

I'm a bit annoyed. Here's a copy of what I have sent via the Asda Customer Services section of their website, and also emailed directly to the Handsworth store manager:

"I am writing to complain about an incident that has just occurred at your Asda Handsworth, Sheffield store.

I have been shopping in that store for over three years now including the purchase of alcohol. I will be aged 27 in a month's time, so haven't had to carry any form of photographic identification for almost ten years. However, today, the cashier refused to serve me alcohol as I didn't have any ID. At first, I actually thought she was joking, as there is no way that anyone could possibly think that I look under 21 years old.

However, I have been advised that a new policy is being implemented whereby if you look under 25, customers will be asked for ID. Apparently it is up to each individual cashier as to whether they use this policy.

Perhaps then, Asda as a whole should advertise this fact, as all of your shelves with alcohol still only advise that if you look under 21 then you will be asked to prove your age.

I found the incident extremely embarrassing as there were a number of customers around the till listening to the conversation.

I asked for a supervisor to deal with it, and she advised the cashier, Lee (female), that it was up to her if she wanted to serve me or not. Eventually, she did serve me. She was obviously reluctant and extremely rude.

On exiting the store, I saw a manager and advised him of what had just happened. He shrugged his shoulders and advised that he would speak to her, then turned his back and walked off.

I find it disgusting that I shop in your store every day, and spend upwards of £100 per week there. I also purchase weekly shopping online, including alcohol; and have never had anyone challenge my age.

There is no way that I am going to start carrying my passport around in the off chance that I will be asked for identification in an Asda store.

I really think that your staff require more training regarding the selling of alcohol; otherwise you will begin to lose custom.

I for one will not be shopping with you again after today’s incident, and will instead order my online groceries from Tesco. I do not believe that I look under 25. I also produced my Asda credit card, and advised that I wouldn't have one if I was under 18.

The manner and attitude of the cashier and the manager has left me extremely annoyed, and I would like a reply to this email advising how you will resolve it.”

Has anyone else started experiencing problems regarding this?

Not in Asda but it did happen to me once in Morrisons. I was going to complain until I saw a story on Look North the next day about an 85 year old who had been refused to be served alchohol at his local store????

The rules are set out everywhere.

If you look under 21 you will get I.D'd. Take it as a compliment and bring your I.D next time.

As an off licence they have the right to refuse sale to anyone.

Eventhough this case is alittle anoying for yourself (and me reading it in anoying red type!) you havn't even got half a leg to stand on.

Alcohol restrictions are becoming very tight in this country. Live by the rules (i.e bring your I.D next time) and you won't have a problem.

The supermarket won't risk a sale without I.D becuase they could lose there licence over it. And the cashier won't risk a sale because he/she would be liable to a £1000 on the spot fine.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my I.D

What if you were mugged, and you were knocked out. No-one would know who you were.

Its sensible to carry I.D

Not in Asda but it did happen to me once in Morrisons. I was going to complain until I saw a story on Look North the next day about an 85 year old who had been refused to be served alchohol at his local store????

I remember seeing this story on Look L**ds as well. They had apparently set a policy that anyone who tried to buy alcohol would be asked for ID. What a joke. If you're 85, I would think it obvious that you would look over 18. Unless you're really lucky in the looks department!!

I've been ID'd a few times at that Asda and various other stores since I was about 22... I'm almost 26 now and theres no way a normal person could mistake me for being under 18.

Luckily I always have my driving licence in my wallet so it's never really been a problem.

Just a little embarressing. But I guess you have to take it as a compliment!

Just found the story...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=513315&in_page_id=1770

I do actually feel sorry for cashiers because they're obviously only doing what they're told to do. However some of them do tend to lack a bit of tact... the lady who wouldn't serve me turned around to my boyfriend who had ID and said "sorry love, its just these girls wear so much make up these days its hard to tell!". Hmmmmmmmmm not sure if she meant I was made up like a sl****er but I did take it that way. Definitely a training issue!

I've been ID'd a few times at that Asda and various other stores since I was about 22... I'm almost 26 now and theres no way a normal person could mistake me for being under 18.

Luckily I always have my driving licence in my wallet so it's never really been a problem.

Just a little embarressing. But I guess you have to take it as a compliment!

Retailers don't go by the under 18 policy these days.

You'll see poster every, especailly in pub/clubs If you look 21 or under you WILL get I.D'd

You're a safe target, like the law abiding motorist.

It's easier to challenge you, embarrass you and belittle you than it is for a cashier to ask for proof from a bunch of 15 year olds attempting to buy a crate of vodka. ie, the law abiding are punished, the law breaking go unchallenged.

That's how it works in this country now. And woe betide Mr and Mrs Middleclass and Mr and Mrs Middleage who complain.

But really, you should have known this would happen (indeed, in York an octogenarian was asked to prove his age by some uniformed jobsworth in a supermarket!). We're told Enjoy Alcohol Responsibly, that a packet of peanuts May Contain Nuts, that a cartoon at the cinema contains Mild Suspense and Fantasy Horror and that the contents of a cup of Macdonald coffee might be hot.

There was an advert for Burger King which showed a burger landing on a car. We had to be told that the 'burger shown is not real size'.

Just act dumb next time you're abused in public. Join the rest of this 20 A Levels But Not A Braincell Between Them society.

In other words, Welcome To England.

moving the age to looking under 25 it seems to me that this is strongly encouraging a large proportion of the population to always carry ID making it easier to bring in compulsory ID cards

Retailers don't go by the under 18 policy these days.

You'll see poster every, especailly in pub/clubs If you look 21 or under you WILL get I.D'd

Ok smart arse, I'll rephrase. There's no way any normal person could mistake me for being under 21.

If the cashier doesn't demand ID, then she risks a thousand pound fine, payable by HER, not by Asda.

How small of a risk would you be prepared to take? I wouldn't sell any alcohol to anybody at all without ID, no matter if they looked a hundred.

Maybe when people drop this ridiculous attitude that it's somehow "embarassing" to them to be asked for identification, then they won't get so upset about it any more...

Totally off topic but... the other day this lad came knocking on my door trying to sell rafflle tickets he only looked about 18. Bearing in mind I'm about to give birth any day... He asked if my mum and dad were in :(