What's your computer specification?

I'm looking for a new PC whether that be desktop or laptop so wonder what specification the general public use for various tasks, it's not a competition guys :hihi:

I'm looking for a new PC whether that be desktop or laptop so wonder what specification the general public use for various tasks, it's not a competition guys :hihi:

What you using it for?

What you using it for?

That is the key.

I find my iMac 27" does all I want it to, but that might not be what the OP wants it to.

4GB EVGA GTX980

750W EVGA GOLD-2 PSU

256GB SSUNG 850 PRO SSD

Intel Core i7 4790K

3XS Only VengPro DDR3 8GB 2133 * 4

Runs at a turbo boost speed of 4.72 Ghz, which is a base clock of 105 and the multiplier up to 45.

And an ultrawide screen display running at 3440 * 1440

I use it for gaming and development, which might mean running several VMs, a database an IDE and a few other bits and pieces.

Edited by Cyclone

That is the key.

I find my iMac 27" does all I want it to, but that might not be what the OP wants it to.

My iPad does more than enough leisure wise!

Don't recall my PC spec OP but would reccomend you get as much ram as you can afford.

You should be thinking about what you need in a computer, not about the specifications of the computers of other people. Also, budget comes into the decision - what do you want to pay?

Tzijlstra's choice is probably the best for him if he uses the computer for work and video editing etc. However, it is probably over the top (and unaffordable) for many if all the user wants to do is check emails and access the Internet. As tinfoilhat says, an iPad will do both of those things at a fraction of the cost and it won't take up so much space.

As has been said, if you need a computer rather than a tablet then go for as much RAM as you can afford and, if possible buy one with an SSD. These days there are quite a few with an SSD for the operating system and a large hard drive. If you are planning to store lots of music, videos etc this specification might be one to go for but you would get better help if you posted back with more information about your own use of a computer.

Mine was definitely not a cheap system, but it's already 1.5 years old and still very much a top end PC. I'm fully expect it to last somewhere between 6 and 10 years with only a few upgrades.

Stuck on an old system, desperately need an upgrade...

i7-860

16GB DDR3-1333

Radeon HD7950 3GB

2TB SSHD

550W Antec PSU

Still plays most things fine, it's just a little slow :)

For my plex/media server and client, I use a NUC6I5. (SSD, 8gb DDR4, couple of TB of external storage)

Everything else is done via win 10/android tablets or via my work laptop (aging Ivy bridge I7).

If your after a desktop definitely look at the NUC's, so small, pretty powerful and very energy efficient.

Unless you want to play games, then don't.

Stuck on an old system, desperately need an upgrade...

i7-860

16GB DDR3-1333

Radeon HD7950 3GB

2TB SSHD

550W Antec PSU

Still plays most things fine, it's just a little slow :)

I have a 7950.. plays most games ok.. just sounds like a jet taking off whenever i do anything... noisy!!!

I have a 7950.. plays most games ok.. just sounds like a jet taking off whenever i do anything... noisy!!!

I must admit that I usually go for a Gigabyte card as after a sound DB comparison theirs are usually the quietest. I can play Dying Light on full settings with a 2560x1440 monitor and can hear the central heating more than the card. Its also handy to have a passive power supply as well to keep the noise down.