Indoor Humidity ??

And a filter, and a very economical pump that costs pennies to run, and a brilliant team who fit the system, leaving the house cleaner when they went than when they came....

and who is this team?

And a filter, and a very economical pump that costs pennies to run, and a brilliant team who fit the system, leaving the house cleaner when they went than when they came....

Do they work?

What sort of humidity levels are registered after they were fitted.

I'm interested in having one fitted to solve a condensation problem I have but thought they seemed really expensive when quoted. Was going to try a humidifier instead.

Edited by michelle21

It isn't just about the %rh humidity.. Time of year and air tempriture has a lot to do with the readings when using a hydrometer... When the air is warm like in summer or when you have the heating on, you will have a higher humidity reading because the air can hold more water... When air is warm the air expands and holds more water.. Having a reading of over 60% in winter if it's cold can be bad news, this is when mold will grow as this is an ideal condition for fungus growth... Always best to go off the summer reading of no more than 60%.. Good airflow is the key, if you have a good extractor in bathroom and kitchen, open windows regularly and still have high humidity, you have an issue.. This means water is coming into your home somehow and needs addressing..

It isn't just about the %rh humidity.. Time of year and air tempriture has a lot to do with the readings when using a hydrometer... When the air is warm like in summer or when you have the heating on, you will have a higher humidity reading because the air can hold more water... When air is warm the air expands and holds more water.. Having a reading of over 60% in winter if it's cold can be bad news, this is when mold will grow as this is an ideal condition for fungus growth... Always best to go off the summer reading of no more than 60%.. Good airflow is the key, if you have a good extractor in bathroom and kitchen, open windows regularly and still have high humidity, you have an issue.. This means water is coming into your home somehow and needs addressing..

Thank you.

I had 60.6% relative humidity reading when outside temperature was 19.5%.

fans in kitchen and bathroom. Trickle vents in the windows and air bricks in all appropriate rooms.

I'm interested in having a positive air ventilation unit fitted but have been quoted £1,400 which seems really excessive when you can purchase the unit for between £300-400.

We found we have problems with mold in a council house. Just got a dehumidifer today (since we can't have anything else put in the house as they won't let us)

I've already collected a fair amount of water into the thing from 1 room (where we found said mold).

We kept our air vents open, open the bathroom window after a shower *it's a wetroom*

Anyone else have any other ideas? (we can't have PIV). We also have no choice but to dry washing indoors at this time of year. Nor do we have space for a tumble dryer.

Go to any DIY store and buy some moisture traps for the rooms that you dry your washing in. I use them in my cellar in the summer when the humidity is high. They will absorb quite a bit of moisture rather than it collecting on the walls and forming condensation.

Buying the refillable ones and a 2kg tub of crystals is probably cheapest. If you find it fills with water pretty quickly then the problem is more than just drying damp clothes etc in your home.

Maybe invest in a washer/dryer combi? They're not ideal by any means but it would mean that you are not releasing anywhere near the amount of dampness into the house.

I don't think it helped that a few years back the place flooded out after pipes burst. I do wonder if the place never dried out properly before we moved in. The electric dehumifer did VERY well in my moms room earlier. I'll try the traps, sounds like a little cheaper alternative. As for the combi. It's an idea, I just need to save up for one and hope it'd be the same size as a regular washer.

My combi washer has a 7kg wash capacity, but half that for drying. I live alone so its perfect for me, but probably not much use for a family. It can get expensive if you do a lot of washing/drying - i use it about twice a week so the cost is not an issue.

The traps are definitely good, my mum uses them in her spare room where there seems to be woeful air flow and my sister likes to dry her metre long, thick hair. there's been no condensation in the room since she got the traps in there compared to it pouring down the window panes and outer walls before.

Well i got a crystal trap today (for the kitchen) and a couple of tablet like ones (one in my mom's room where most of the damp seems to be). Hoping they work.

Edit: Also seemed to have found where the mold is coming from. Stuck the moisture trap in the corner next to her wardrobe.

Edited by Groose

ok - you have convinced me I have a problem. What do you think about installing a PIV unit?

this is good advice to reduce humidity if you are not already doing this...

Our house had damp when we moved in. I checked the guttering and it was blocked. Ask you local window cleaner to have a look next time he's up there.

I use the absorber bags but there are loads of options that just need heating up to take the moisture out.

http://www.betterware.co.uk/cleaning/humidifiers-dehumidifiers