James Stuart Blackton

I am a researcher based in New York currently working on a biography of James Stuart Blackton, the Sheffield-born (1875) filmmaker who was a pioneer in the American film industry. Much of the material circulated about him has been false, not least that he attended Eton (he was only 11 when he migrated to the United States with his mother) and that his father was a noted portrait painter (nobody seems to have heard of this noted artist). Is there anybody out there that might have some information on the family? I would be deeply grateful. Don Dewey

Hi dondewey - welcome to the Forum! I imagine you have access to public records; if not I can confirm that James Stuart Blackton's surname appears in the G.R.O. births index (Ecclesall Bierlow, Jan-Mar 1975, Volume 9c Page 340) as BLACKTIN, and this spelling was also used in the 1881 census return. Here is a scan from the 1881 census return.

The marriages index shows a Henry Blacktin who married Jessie Stuart in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1873. Henry does not seem to be listed in 1881 (perhaps he was already in America) but the 1871 census shows a Henry Blacktin, aged 34 and married to Ellen (she died in Apr-Jun 1873). Henry's profession is given as "Band Saw Maker Employs 2 men & 1 girl". Henry’s birthplace is given as Halifax, but he married his first wife, Ellen Bagshaw, in Sheffield in 1856.

Going back further, the 1841 directory shows "Henry Blacktin, hardware dealer" of Greystones, Sheffield. Other Blacktins in Sheffield were gardeners, seedsmen, innkeepers and farmers - but it seems there were no portrait painters!

Edited by hillsbro

Hillsbro: I'm enormously grateful for your help. Now I just have to track down what school Jimmy actually went to. Please keep in touch. At some point I would like your name so I can acknowledge it in the book. DD

Hi dondewey - glad to be able to help. I have sent you a Private Message.

He applied for naturalization in 1918 stating he came over in 1886,seems to have made a number of trips back to the U K

Thank you, Lobster. Yes, he made several trips, including a long stay after WWI to make two films.

according to the probate records Ellen Blacktin died 14th may 1873 family were living at 7 Upper Hanover street

Hi lobster - thanks for confirming the date of Ellen's death; I had seen the Apr-Jun 1873 entry in the GRO index. Henry and Ellen are shown at 7 Upper Hanover Street in the 1871 census return; in 1881 Ellen and James were not far away at 121 Broomspring Lane. PM me an email address if you'd like a copy of the family tree, such as it is so far..:)

it seems all was not well in the Blacktin household . On the 1881 census Henry is listed as Blactin living with Elzabeth Ratcliffe b 1835 Hucknall Notts , he is down as a widower , .On the 1891 he living with Elizabeth and she is classed as a cousin and he is down as married . 1901 finds him listed as a visitor at the home of a Henry Rogers again as a widower .He dies Sheffield 1902

Hi lobster - yes I had found these entries apart from the 1881 Blactin one. In 1901 Henry was with his son David Edward and daughter-in law Gertrude and their family, who in turn were living with Gertrude's widowed father-in-law Henry Rodgers. Oddly, there is a divorce record for Henry and Ellen of 1875.

David Edward was Henry's nephew his father was David Blacktin mother Rebecca ?

Lobster: Yes, Henry was clearly playing around, explaining why James went to the United States with his mother but without his father. I was beginning to think the father had died, but you and Hillsbro have provided far more enticing truths. Thank you again.