Grit bins removed

Today amey came and took our grit bin , I called to find out why, after 40 minutes on the phone I found out they had removed 200 from roads that did not meet two of their criterias. have requested for the grit bin back but was advised can only put in for request for next year and will still have to meet two of their criterias. A meeting had been held this morning and grit bins are being removed. the criteria points are on sheffield city councils web site. myself and my neighbours think this is unbelievable, has anyone else had their grit bins removed or contact with the council regarding this?

Today amey came and took our grit bin , I called to find out why, after 40 minutes on the phone I found out they had removed 200 from roads that did not meet two of their criterias. have requested for the grit bin back but was advised can only put in for request for next year and will still have to meet two of their criterias. A meeting had been held this morning and grit bins are being removed. the criteria points are on sheffield city councils web site. myself and my neighbours think this is unbelievable, has anyone else had their grit bins removed or contact with the council regarding this?

I wouldn't worry about it, no snow this winter!

Obviously cost cutting, no bins then they don't need the litter taking out and filling up with grit.

When they started the resurfacing of what has been to date mostly side roads I thought at the time that the new surface is so smooth they will be like ice-rinks in winter. Whether they will remain so for long is another matter.

The new surface does seem to hold water which will freeze in winter and where the water has partially penetrated the repeated freezing and thawing could potentially break up the new surface.

It also occurs to me that perhaps the new surface may not resistant to road salt. Which may provide another motivation for removing some of the grit bins.

It was suggested only last night by a chap in the pub that grit bins might be being taken away because no council members have a finacial interest in the provision of gritting services. A little unkind I was thinking but food for thought.

Another point that was raised. If you have an accident either on foot or as a motorist because the roads are icy and there is no grit available are the council liable in anyway?

I'm sure that might get tested in court before winter is over.

Hope you're right Speedy, but how so confident?

It says for new bins so surely ones that were there should remain, as for the roads being like glass my road was like that last year after one particularly heavy frost and the car was sliding. Don't know if they have taken the one at the bottom of my road but it has only been here about 2 years.

Had ours on a residential street, close to a local primary school and surrounded by steep hills removed a few weeks ago, men who were removing it said it was been reassigned to Agden Dam .........

Had ours on a residential street, close to a local primary school and surrounded by steep hills removed a few weeks ago, men who were removing it said it was been reassigned to Agden Dam .........

One has grown near a parking area on yew trees lane near broomhead dam

Another point that was raised. If you have an accident either on foot or as a motorist because the roads are icy and there is no grit available are the council liable in anyway?

No it's still your fault for failing to anticipate the problem.

New roads are slippery to begin with and water tends to sit on the surface, this is why when new roads are laid (not residential ones) they put up warning slippery surface signs for a period. It should return to normal after a few months.

At least it'll stop the usual forum stories about neighbours stealing all the grit and putting it on their garden paths an inch thick.

What I said in it's entirity was

I'm sure that might get tested in court before winter is over.

and not just

No it's still your fault for failing to anticipate the problem.

New roads are slippery to begin with and water tends to sit on the surface, this is why when new roads are laid (not residential ones) they put up warning slippery surface signs for a period. It should return to normal after a few months.

So I stick by what I said; I'm sure that might get tested in court before winter is over.

Perhaps they will say that they anticipated that they could use the grit from the bin or that the roads had been gritted or that the new surface would have been chosen for it resistance to being slippery in winter.

We will see in time.. no doubt.