Backing up my photos

Hiya guys.

I have quite a bit of music and photos on my pc that i want to save, someone told me to back them up onto an external hard drive, what would i need? size wise etc? and is it easy to do, i know i can put them onto a cd, but i think an external hard drive would be better, any recomendations what to get?

A long time ago I purchased one from Aldi but my current preferred drives mainly for compatibility with GNU/Linux are Buffalo 2 TB drives from Ebuyer. First we need to establish the total storage used for your music and photos to advise on the best size for your needs. What I like about the latest Buffalo drives is that it is both USB 2 and USB 3 compatible - if attached to USB 2 port the LED glows green, if USB 3, blue. The only poor element of the newer Buffalos is the rubbish software it comes with - just format it to NTFS and wipe out the application software. You would also have the space to backup your entire Hard Drive for reinstallation using redobackup (http://redobackup.org). You download the application, burn it to CD - boot from the CD then follow the simple steps to create a backup - then should you need to restore your drive, put the redobackup CD in the Optical Drive and boot from it and restore your machine to the image you created. I would probably create 2 partitions - one for images and one for data so you can regularly just drag and drop your new photos/music onto the Data Partition. ;)

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---External?sort=pricelow&q=buffalo%2B&limit=10&page=1

I recommend WD external my book drives.

4tb is around 80£. Very reliable drives.