Is this an OK gaming PC?

Not buying a PC for gaming but as it is described as one I am wondering if it would be any good?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-omen-870-216na-gaming-pc-10157511-pdt.html

Might not actually get this one as I won't be buying until September time but it will be something of similar spec.

Looking at getting a 28 inch monitor to go with it.

BTW last console I had was a Wii which I liked playing Mario Galaxy on. Last PC games I liked playing were Half Life (the original one) and Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2. No idea about modern games but I was wondering if I should maybe try out the odd game or 2 on it if I get the chance.

It's not bad, but it would be cheaper to build it yourself, plus you would get more warranty.. (3 years on the board, 5 on the HDD, up to 10 on the PSU etc) where-as buying something like this, you only get the standard 1 year manufacturer warranty...

I built pretty much this same PC, with a GTX1070 instead of a 1060, and a better board, RGB everything, and a better case, for less money recently...

Although I have built a PC in the past don't really fancy doing it myself anymore. 2 young children in the house. I would rather just buy something.

In that case, go for it. Pretty decent stuff for 1200 £, I7 + 16 gb of ram, HDD + SSD

Just don't expect maximum graphics details in every game.

Edited by Guest

<...>

BTW last console I had was a Wii which I liked playing Mario Galaxy on. Last PC games I liked playing were Half Life (the original one) and Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2. No idea about modern games but I was wondering if I should maybe try out the odd game or 2 on it if I get the chance.

Not commenting on the PC spec, as I've been out of that scene for a long time now, but if you're not into 'serious' PC gaming (and for PC exclusive titles and genres, at that), you might as well 'down-spec' your PC for tasks other than gaming, buy a current-generation console (standard Playstation 4, Xbox One or Nintendo Switch, £200 or thereabouts) and keep the change ;)

More gaming bang for your bucks that way, IMHO: a current-gen console is comparable in cost to, and probably even cheaper than, a decent 'gaming' PC graphics card alone.

Moreover, if you liked Mario Galaxy and as you have two young kids, you could do worse than take a look at Nintendo's latest.

:)

In that case, go for it. Pretty decent stuff for 1200 £, I7 + 16 gb of ram, HDD + SSD

Just don't expect maximum graphics details in every game.

Ok thanks. I'm not a gamer so I don't think having to turn some of the details off (I have made that sound like I know what I'm talking about, I've just read online that you can usually turn the details down from high to normal etc) would be an issue. I don't really know anything about current games other than recognising the odd title.

Not commenting on the PC spec, as I've been out of that scene for a long time now, but if you're not into 'serious' PC gaming (and for PC exclusive titles and genres, at that), you might as well 'down-spec' your PC for tasks other than gaming, buy a current-generation console (standard Playstation 4, Xbox One or Nintendo Switch, £200 or thereabouts) and keep the change ;)

More gaming bang for your bucks that way, IMHO: a current-gen console is comparable in cost to, and probably even cheaper than, a decent 'gaming' PC graphics card alone.

Moreover, if you liked Mario Galaxy and as you have two young kids, you could do worse than take a look at Nintendo's latest.

:)

I'm buying the PC to run graphic design software - Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. I want to something which is a reasonable spec. My current laptop struggles with Illustrator - too many vectors and it turns to sludge.

I know the latest version (currently using CS4) uses the GPU to render some effects. Of course I can't upgrade the GPU on the laptop and even if I could its an i5 and I think I would be better with an i7.

The gaming aspect is just a side thing

---------- Post added 28-06-2017 at 09:26 ----------

Not had chance to look thoroughly but probally is the same. PC World like to use different model numbers from other retailers even though its the same model.

Will it run games? Yes (Not all on high settings)

Is it value for money? No, not really.

I don't have a problem with HP but you need to look at what could happen after the warranty is out. Most of the parts are bespoke and cost a fortune to buy from HP.

Scan do some decent ready built PC's for that kind of money and use off the shelf parts. I build my own so can't comment on their service but they seems to get good reviews.

Will it run games? Yes (Not all on high settings)

Is it value for money? No, not really.

I don't have a problem with HP but you need to look at what could happen after the warranty is out. Most of the parts are bespoke and cost a fortune to buy from HP.

Scan do some decent ready built PC's for that kind of money and use off the shelf parts. I build my own so can't comment on their service but they seems to get good reviews.

I'm open to looking at other places to buy it from. The warranty issue does not concern me too much as I can claim under the CRA. I previously claimed under SOGA from PC World and received a new PC. If needed I would go down the route again.

But having said that John Lewis do offer a 2 year warranty so I will be considering them.

Never considered the parts in the PC in regards to replacing them. I have in the past always managed to find compatible parts, I have never bought a part from a manufacturer directly. Would it not be possible to find compatible parts?

Never considered the parts in the PC in regards to replacing them. I have in the past always managed to find compatible parts, I have never bought a part from a manufacturer directly. Would it not be possible to find compatible parts?

In a lot of cases with HP...No. They use bespoke plugs on the motherboard and Power supply so a standard one won't fit. You can rewire them but the other problem can be the none standard size of parts.

You're on about spending a lot of money and I should hate to see anyone come a cropper later on. Stay clear of pre built on Ebay too. Most of those are just a joke. Most have a great CPU but every other part is just cheap nasty rubbish.

Check out overclockers or scan, you can spec stuff up. IMO you don't need to spend that sort of cash unless you are obsessed with running everything on max and getting detail you are unlikely to see. And as others have said, don't buy a branded pc for gaming, you don't need to build it yourself with overclockers etc and at least you won't have upgrade issues later on.

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek