Need advice on a faulty door supplied

Hello,

We had a composite door fitting in January 2013 paid for the door and fitting and this has been fine until recently where the lacquer has started peeling off on the outer side of the door and this looks awful. A composite door is supposed to last years and years however this is not the case here.

We no longer have a receipt for this and whilst I do not blame the fitters as they did a superb job, the quality of the door is quite frankly rubbish however the suppliers are now being very cagey about how they cannot find the door on their systems and unless I can prove this by a receipt they refuse to assist and correct the issue. I’m starting to believe they haven’t declared the sale on their tax return however aren’t they legally bound to have this recorded somewhere?

I didn’t buy the door from them which is the main point here. I looked at the doors they had and made the order from the fitters who also fitted the door and trim etc however they also cannot find any record of this at present which isn't helpful. The door company should have this logged on their records of the sale to the fitters of the door bearing in mind we requested specific colour and colour of door handle and hinges as we had to wait for it being manufactured.

I know I cannot name and shame on the forum however I would like some advice on how to proceed with both the issue above in trying to get a replacement door sorted out asap and also some advice on how I can legally inform Sheffielder’s of a company providing faulty items so that others do not fall in to the same trap.

I am also contemplating adding some photo's to show the dire workmanship involved if I can work out how to do this, any advice on this again would be appreciated.

I know that there are legal eagles who use the forum and provide advice.

This is a serious matter and I really don’t require any sarcastic comments

Thank you

Edited by Norseman

Hello,

We had a composite door fitting in January 2013 paid for the door and fitting and this has been fine until recently where the lacquer has started peeling off on the outer side of the door and this looks awful. A composite door is supposed to last years and years however this is not the case here.

We no longer have a receipt for this and whilst I do not blame the fitters as they did a superb job, the quality of the door is quite frankly rubbish however the suppliers are now being very cagey about how they cannot find the door on their systems and unless I can prove this by a receipt they refuse to assist and correct the issue. I’m starting to believe they haven’t declared the sale on their tax return however aren’t they legally bound to have this recorded somewhere?

I didn’t buy the door from them which is the main point here. I looked at the doors they had and made the order from the fitters who also fitted the door and trim etc however they also cannot find any record of this at present which isn't helpful. The door company should have this logged on their records of the sale to the fitters of the door bearing in mind we requested specific colour and colour of door handle and hinges as we had to wait for it being manufactured.

I know I cannot name and shame on the forum however I would like some advice on how to proceed with both the issue above in trying to get a replacement door sorted out asap and also some advice on how I can legally inform Sheffielder’s of a company providing faulty items so that others do not fall in to the same trap.

I am also contemplating adding some photo's to show the dire workmanship involved if I can work out how to do this, any advice on this again would be appreciated.

I know that there are legal eagles who use the forum and provide advice.

This is a serious matter and I really don’t require any sarcastic comments

Thank you

You need to sort it out with the fitters who sold you the door. I am not surprised the company which supplied your fitters with the door are not

being helpful because they do not have a contract with you.

i see composite door paint peeling when people stick banners and stuff on door. the finish is shocking bad on those doors

Solid door.

Lacquer finish.

3 years since fitting.

Lacquer peeling.

Absolutely normal.

Sand and relacquer.

You need to sort it out with the fitters who sold you the door. I am not surprised the company which supplied your fitters with the door are not

being helpful because they do not have a contract with you.

I assume that this is just the same as standard retail. The retailer only has liability for one year, it is the manufacturer after that.

I assume that this is just the same as standard retail. The retailer only has liability for one year, it is the manufacturer after that.

There seems to be a lack of paperwork all round. There will be terms and conditions regarding any maunfacturers guarantee on a composite door. One of those terms will be that the door is fitted correctly. The fitters have no record of the transaction to get over the first hurdle which is proving the door fitted was bought from the manufacturer. The OP has done himself no favours by not keeping a receipt or any paperwork about the transaction. If the fitters remember fitting a door at the OP's house then he should ask them to sort out the problem.

Hello,

Thank you

You have to upload your photos on say photobucket, then click "share" option on the image, double click the "direct" option, then paste the link on here.

Solid door.

Lacquer finish.

3 years since fitting.

Lacquer peeling.

Absolutely normal.

Sand and relacquer.

Composite door, not solid.