Go and take a backup

This message is repeated so often, and so often ignored.

There's a thread in the computer section right now, laptop HDD is dead, irreplaceable photos on it...

So, if you have anything important, take a copy. On another computer, on an external drive, on a blueray, or just in the cloud on a free dropbox account.

But don't put it off. Hard disks die, and they do it with little warning.

So TAKE A BACKUP.

There's a thread in the computer section right now, laptop HDD is dead, irreplaceable photos on it...

So, if you have anything important, take a copy. On another computer, on an external drive, on a blueray, or just in the cloud on a free dropbox account.

So TAKE A BACKUP.

I make backups often. Ive never taken one anywhere though.

A joke I assume, but you should try taking one somewhere... What if your house burns down and you haven't taken one somewhere?

I fear he was pointing out your poor grasp of the English language cyclone

So TAKE A BACKUP.

I put My stuff on 2separate usb sticks and a external hard drive

So TAKE A BACKUP.

I would advise people subscribe to an online backup service that takes away the need to perform backups yourself.

I pay for a iCloud: 200 GB Storage Plan that costs me £2.49 a month.

Then he failed... there was nothing wrong with the exhortation to take a backup....

Belt and braces - do cloud storage and have a traditional backup to a USB hard drive or stick - preferably stored at someone else's house, just offsite away from your existing setup.

Belt and braces - do cloud storage and have a traditional backup to a USB hard drive or stick - preferably stored at someone else's house, just offsite away from your existing setup.

Three copy rule for me - working copies, backup at home, and a backup offsite at the office. They get rotated every week, more frequently if a lot of work gets done.

Wise words, and I'll add my tuppence: save your work-in-progress frequently, either with setting up a short autosave interval, or with ad hoc manual Crtl S.

Brownouts and outright power outages happen with no warning, and if you're working on a desktop without a UPC-like battery back-up, it can cost you.

Backup-wise, I follow Obelix' 3 rule (dual-HDD PC with mirroring drives, NAS (RAID'd), portable solid state USB drive), plus optical backups stored at M-I-L for the non-editable stuff (photos mostly).

Edited by L00b

And I used that to make a point, did you miss it?

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 09:59 ----------

I would advise people subscribe to an online backup service that takes away the need to perform backups yourself.

I pay for a iCloud: 200 GB Storage Plan that costs me £2.49 a month.

Do you have this configured for immediate replication when you change a file, or do you still schedule a backup to it?

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 10:01 ----------

USB sticks are not actually ideal, they have a limited lifespan whereafter the data may start to corrupt unless it's rewritten.

A real disk or SSD is better.

And don't confuse real time replication (ie dropbox) with backup. Although they have a large overlap, there are differences. A weekly backup will allow you to get back the version of the file from last week, dropbox won't do that (although cloud services that keep version history do exist).